Toshikazu Kawasaki - New (angled) Rose

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
martinhm@gmx.net

Toshikazu Kawasaki - New (angled) Rose

Post by martinhm@gmx.net »

Hi,

I realise that there are a lot of messages and pages on the web to do with the Kawasaki rose, but nowhere seems to address the problem I am having.

In step 9 of Winson Chan's diagram of the rose I don't understand how to place the folds forming a chevron. The diagram says that the two valley folds meet at a point one-third from the top of the square. How far left or right in that square do they meet though?

I'm obviously not doing it right, because when I try to crimp along the folds the paper does not lie flat.

Please help.

Martin.

P.S. Is the rose available on this website the Winson Chan version or the one in Origami for the Connoisseur?
bshuval

Post by bshuval »

Why does it bother you that the paper doesn't lie flat?

I folded this rose long ago, and Winson Chan's instructions posed no problems. I don't recall if that step folded flat or not, but I can assure you that later on the model isn't flat at all.

In any case, the best diagrams I've seen for this rose are in Kawasaki's Origami Dream World: Flora and Fauna. A truly fabulous book.
Frydrych

Post by Frydrych »

I know this rose by heart as I folded it many times.

There's no need to know how far from left or right this point lies. You just divide the square vertically in thirds and lead the upper valley fold through the grid points to meet first division line.

After collapsing on existing creases model shouldn't lie flat at all.

So you're probably doing it right.
Greg, Grzegorz actually, but try to pronounce it
martinhm@gmx.net

Oh. I didn't realise the upper valley fold was supposed to go through the gridlines.

I've done that now, but can't figure out what is meant by steps 20/21. Tricky.
Frydrych

Post by Frydrych »

Indeed it is tricky. I also stuck there when I was doing it for the first time. I don't quite know how to explain it to you. Actually everything is said in the description of those steps. I can only say: Keep trying and don't give up. I'm sure you will cope with it. :-)
Greg, Grzegorz actually, but try to pronounce it
martinhm@gmx.net

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I found this webpage, which shows photos of the result of step 23.
http://anools-origami.tripod.com/k_rose_tips.htm

I'll try to figure it out from there.