Robert J. Lang - Periodical Cicada

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
origamifan

Robert J. Lang - Periodical Cicada

Post by origamifan »

Hi everyone
I'm folding the periodical Cicada from Origami Insect 2 by R.Lang and I get stuck in step 57 : Pull the 2 layers to the Front. I cant figure it out. Please anyone guide me to overcome this step ?
phil

Post by phil »

In step 57 I fold the flap back over to the left on the long valley vold, leaving the small triangle in place. Then closed sink the flap locking the small trianlge in place. The result is the same a wrapping the layers around it. Hope that helps.
shortloldude

Post by shortloldude »

I am having trouble with step 61, the crimp. When I do the crimp, there is nothing I need to flatten in step 62, and 63 makes no sense to me either so I think my fault is in step 61.
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

Can anyone tell me if step 49 is a closed or open sink?
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

Nevermind...it actually doesn't matter.
Mars

Re: Robert J. Lang - Periodical Cicada

Post by Mars »

Currently on my 4th attempt here on the Periodical Cicada, and it's always step 57 & the other steps of 61-67 that throw me off; which is frustrating knowing I'm so close to finishing it!

So I've decided to post here for help before doing any more guessing. This is what my step 57 looks like and I'm fairly certain it's correct. Now my confusion comes from the "Bring two layers of paper to the front." bit. Is it saying to leave what I just folded alone in its place, and then fold back down the "group of layers" to its original location like this (sorry for the blurriness, but it's basically what step 54 looks like before it's folded to the right)?
Or do I swivel those folds (re: the folds shown in the first picture I linked) to somewhere around this location (the other side of this model)? What it's really throwing me off is the usage of the word "front" and the multiple places these folds can be tucked into. I did read phil's explanation but I'm unfortunately still unable to make a determination after 4 tries.
Thanks!
Keep on trying, it will work.
Char

Re: Robert J. Lang - Periodical Cicada

Post by Char »

It seems like a lot of people are confused on 61-67. Luckily, I found a tutorial online of those particular steps. Here’s the link: https://youtu.be/BGai0ozV6U8