Satoshi Kamiya - Lion

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
saj

Re: Satoshi Kamiya - Lion

Post by saj »

Some incredible work here. One day, eventually, I will get round to folding this!
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
mixmastermarc16

Post by mixmastermarc16 »

you can do it Saj! good luck!
Coco

Post by Coco »

I don't understand the #54 step. can someone help me?
booggerboy

Post by booggerboy »

Hi Coco,

Step 54 caught me out for a bit too - I seem to remember it is simpler than I thought - just a squash fold holding the layers in place. I was one of those steps where I just fiddled until it looked like the next pic. Btw I found this link useful for a bunch of the steps:

http://www.fb-developers.info/origami/d ... n&pic=0012

(There's 24 pics, with 0012 being the one just before step 54)

bb
NicholasA

Post by NicholasA »

For the sake of reference, the key points from this thread:

JeossMayhem
Step 44-45
This one's kind of a tricky translation, but roughly, it says: "push out the darkened dection's hidden(?) posterior from behind."
In other words, a closed sink. The darkened area outlines a few layers below the surface that you tuck inside-out.
Himanshu
Step 75-80
Steps 75 - 80 indicate that you have to partially unfold the model to achieve simultaneous pleats on two different planes.
Step 99-100
Steps 99-100 introduce new mountain folds to shape the mane. The mountain folds are curved and serve as reference points for the pleats in step 100. Step 101 is a swivel-cum-pleat fold
Takwing
Some photos were taken to show the key / major steps in folding the lion:
http://www.takwing.idv.hk/origami/diagram/index.html
Bethnor
Step 66
step 66 is a little strange in that you are basically "forcing" the paper here; there is no crease on which to squash the middle layer. just do the best you can to spread-squash it. it is deep inside the model and hidden, so it does not need to be perfect (which i know is difficult, as most of us are very meticulous by nature).
Step 99
as for step 99 onwards, you are basically shaping the mane here, which can be done to taste--you may squash it, or you may not. notably, i do think that kamiya shapes the mane in his versions differently than how he diagrammed it. all i can really suggest is to find a photo of the finished version of the lion that you like and study it.
NicholasA

Post by NicholasA »

For step 62 - 64, how many layers should I fold?
NicholasA

Post by NicholasA »

I gave it a shot, overall happy with the result since it is one of my first complex models. Will definitely try again and really focus on the shaping.
Sorry for the bad picture...

rockerorigami

Post by rockerorigami »

I really cannot do anything after step 107, especially the shaping. Someone please help!
origami is my religion
flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/102061175@N08/
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

^^^
if you are using WOSK2, step 107 is basically the same as step 99 from tanteidan #13--that is to say: you are basically shaping the mane here, which can be done to taste--you may squash it, or you may not. notably, i do think that kamiya shapes the mane in his versions differently than how he diagrammed it. all i can really suggest is to find a photo of the finished version of the lion that you like and study it.