Satoshi Kamiya - Lion

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Matty

Post by Matty »

From step 99 onwards, the diagrams seem to show that the pleat closest to the ear has been squashed. Is this not the case? The tutorial photos from the post above indicate not...
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

step 66 is a little strange in that you are basically "forcing" the paper here; there is no crease on which to squash the middle layer. just do the best you can to spread-squash it. it is deep inside the model and hidden, so it does not need to be perfect (which i know is difficult, as most of us are very meticulous by nature).

as for step 99 onwards, you are basically shaping the mane here, which can be done to taste--you may squash it, or you may not. notably, i do think that kamiya shapes the mane in his versions differently than how he diagrammed it. all i can really suggest is to find a photo of the finished version of the lion that you like and study it.
redheadorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by redheadorigami »

artur biernacki wrote:I folded this model..
Artur
My gallery on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/12569445@N02/
Sorry if im being like a troll, but NO ONE CARES.
You have folded almost every complex piece of origami ever designed.
"Violence isn't the answer but it's always a good start."
-JeossMayhem
Kafar
Forum Sensei

Post by Kafar »

Redheadorigami: I also folded this model :P
PauliusOrigami
Forum Sensei

Post by PauliusOrigami »

I also folded it :D:
My flickr gallery. Come to visit and leave feedback.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

redheadorigami wrote:
this must win some kind of award for most random post ever.
The Average Folder

Post by The Average Folder »

redheadorigami wrote:Sorry if im being like a troll, but NO ONE CARES.
It is true that Artur is a extremely talented folder, but I like his folds and I do want to see his folds
Folding is everything, and everything is folding
My Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/photos/58368473@N06/
-Mike
redheadorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by redheadorigami »

JUST saying, its a bit predictable.
"Violence isn't the answer but it's always a good start."
-JeossMayhem
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

bethnor wrote:
redheadorigami wrote:
this must win some kind of award for most random post ever.
funniest thing i've seen all day on this forum
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
Matty

Post by Matty »

bethnor wrote:as for step 99 onwards, you are basically shaping the mane here, which can be done to taste--you may squash it, or you may not.
Thanks, Bethnor, this actually helps quite a lot. It's clear that Paulius and Arthur did not squash that pleat, and that Kafar did, and they all achieved beautiful results.

So, yeah, at least one person does care to see these photos, not only because they're beautiful, but also because they're helpful.
karan62

Post by karan62 »

i need some help im using tissue foil and the mane just isnt flowing in an s like some of the others here as once i unfold it slightly the whole thins is gone. is it the paper?
I just read a list of 'the 100 things to do before you die'. I'm pretty surprised 'yell for help' wasn't one of them...
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

it's not the paper. it may take several folds before you get the mane to your liking. if you go through this thread and google image search the lion, you will find that even experienced folders have a difficult time getting a satisfactory, clean mane. all i can suggest is what i said above: find someone who has completed the mane in a way you like. study the image and try to reproduce the result.

also, first try finishing it the way kamiya suggests, and then deviating from it after you get that pat (he suggests, from the front, pleating in a valley-mountain-mountain-valley-mountain-valley type pattern, which is different than how he folds it and how many here have done it, which is mountain-valley-mountain-valley-mountain-valley).
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

this is one of my attempts to emulate the way kamiya has finished the model. IMHO, artur and eyal are amongst the folders who come the closest to imitating him, and whose images i studied. note that, as far as i can see, kamiya only has four pleats visible in the mane. whereas if you look at kafar, as well as the diagrammed version, the mane will have five pleats. so it looks like kamiya hides one of the pleats on the version he has on his website.

a close up. you can see i have one less pleat visible than kafar. take note this just emphasizes my point that the mane should be done to taste, as you can see kafar's version is perfectly fine.
mixmastermarc16

Re: Satoshi Kamiya - Lion

Post by mixmastermarc16 »

i will be folding this model today (as it is the next on my list). looking forward to folding thi sone to completion as a have folded a "sketch" of it before with some smaller tracing paper. it turned out well so now i will be doing one with the big stuff. wish me luck! good luck!
The Average Folder

Re: Satoshi Kamiya - Lion

Post by The Average Folder »

Nice one Bethnor!
Folding is everything, and everything is folding
My Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/photos/58368473@N06/
-Mike