Has anyone folded Kamiya's Phoenix?

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
xaoslord

Post by xaoslord »

origamimasterjared wrote:Hehe, I just have to say that Kamiya's Phoenix was my second or third CP. First was his Jackalope, and second was either the Phoenix or the Wizard.
I guess that's why your name is origamimasterjared and not origamikind-of-goodjared. :lol:
-Ray My Flickr Album
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers." -Elric
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Actually, I find those some of his easiest CPs. Yes, the Phoenix is really complicated, but with the wondrous abilities/deficiencies of tissue-foil, you're almost done with the figure (my first two tries--my third I used silver paper and it came out great). Ryu-zin looks pretty easy. Compare this to, say, his Sleipnir CP or anything by Noboru Miyajima. The CPs are relatively simple, but there is so much going on between the collapsed base and the finished work.

The Jackalope on the other hand was a fairly simple CP, but with a couple of minor reference points that took a little extra work to locate. It takes a while to figure out which flap goes where, but once you do, you're just about done.

Whereas if you give me a Komatsu CP without M/V differentiation I'm usually like "Wha??". They're so complicated. I still haven't attempted his lion...
araknoid

Post by araknoid »

i totally agree with you origamimasterjared
Fnord
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Yea, I think that I got a bit of a head start by spending so much time on Komatsu's wolf and sheep. It really is unlike anything else so you get a lot out figuring out his CPs. I'm probably not touching that lion for another year... Kamiya's CPs tend to be (but not always!) 'systematical' I guess, using lots of sinks and flaps. Basically you can read then just by looking at it. Komatsu on the other hand... Kind of scary and chaotic in my opinion, but amazing at the same time.
quesoonfire

Post by quesoonfire »

My first cp ever was Brian Chans water strider.
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

The Phoenix 3.0 was also my first attempt at folding CP's.
:oops:

In fact, if not for the Phoenix, I would never have tried making anything from CP. Furthermore, it was because of this phoenix that I discovered this wonderful forum. :)

It took me months before I finally found out how to collapse the Phoenix CP (damn that extra protrusion...ehhehe). I had a lot of help from the great tips and advices that I managed to find in this forum.
Galif

Post by Galif »

I have a guide made by Díaz teaching how to fold Komatsu's lion... looks like really hard, so I never tried it :lol:!
It's impossible until someone does it.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

thanks everyone for yr advice :D :D :D :D
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Galif wrote:I have a guide made by Díaz teaching how to fold Komatsu's lion... looks like really hard, so I never tried it :lol:!
Did you ask him for it or can I get it online? I'd like one.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

hey so what cp do u think i should start off with??
and do u know where to get kamiya phoenix 3.5 cp and this time i searched the forum..... :D

thanks
chesslo
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

You can get 3.5 when you order a calendar with its CP (correct me if I'm wrong), but you should be able to find exactly where (origami house?).

I'd suggest folding anything you have and drawing their CPs and figuring them out. And, with the search function, you can find some threads that post good places to find CPs when learning how to decipher them.
Galif

Post by Galif »

There's a video on YouTube about a japanese TV program (JapanProbe, I think) that shows some of Kamiya's works. One can find the CP of Phoenix 3.5 there...

By the way, JeossMayhem, PM me with you e-mail adress so I can send you the guide :wink:!
It's impossible until someone does it.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

thanks guys
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

So are you saying that for us CP-Challenged folders that Kamiya's Lion is going to be (lots ?) easier to fold than Komatsu's ?

- Hank Simon

BTW Chesslo: I suggest that you might get a head start by following the Phoenix discussion at:
viewtopic.php?t=343
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

There are diagrams for Kamiya's Lion already (Tanteidan 13).

And considering it's just based off a 24-grid, yes, it is much easier to locate the creases in Kamiya's Lion. Also, Kamiya's Lion doesn't have any of those cool Komatsu folds, like Komatsu's lion. Those folds make the CPs complicated.

One of these days I'll fold Komatsu's Lion. Gotta find the right paper for the job though.