Origami Roses - Read Me!

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Brimstone wrote:There is something that I have observed from people doing Kawasaki roses: They like better the one they learned first.
That´s very interesting and - as I can say for my own - true. I also think that the old Kawasaki rose is much more beautiful than the new one. The new one is a little bit easier to fold I think it can be folded in half of the time, it is also great looking, but I like the old one more.
Last edited by origami_8 on August 16th, 2007, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Not in my case. I learned the original one first, but like the new one better. And, Jorram, from what I see in your posting, I don't think you've got it quite right. The bottom locks better than the original rose, and the calyx fits inside just fine (and holds in place better due to the better lock).
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Joseph Wu wrote: The bottom locks better than the original rose
Do you fold the rose different to me?
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Quite possibly. I've found that most people don't get it right from the diagrams.
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

origami_8 wrote:
Brimstone wrote:There is something that I have observed from people doing Kawasaki roses: They like better the one they learned first.
That´s very interesting and - as I can say for my own - true. I also think that the old Kawasaki rose is much more beautiful than the new one. The new one is a little bit easier to fold I think it can be folded in half of the time, it is also great looking, but I like the old one more.
:shock: UH? You can fold the new, more complex rose (the one diagrammed by Winson Chan) in half the time it takes you to fold the old (Origami for the Connoisseur) one? That's bizarre.

My first attempt at the new rose looked a bit wretched, but I got to like it more as I folded it more and improved my efforts. Precreasing lightly helps. Get a look at Kawasaki's diagrams if you can - I find his folding method much quicker and clearer than Chan's.

I think I prefer the old rose, partly because of the Kevin Hines precrease method that allows you to fold a smooth model and partly because it doesn't take as long to make.
(I folded the new one first, by the way.)
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

Shocked UH? You can fold the new, more complex rose (the one diagrammed by Winson Chan) in half the time it takes you to fold the old (Origami for the Connoisseur) one? That's bizarre.
I can also hardly believe it, because the winson chan diagrammed rose needs more than 60 precreases and the "old" one only around 30.

Christian
kenongab

Post by kenongab »

wow thx =) glad someone helped me (im still 10)
<(^^)>-~~--Kiel
Jorram

Post by Jorram »

After some refoldings, I should admit that I wasn't quite right. Folded from a new sheet (the one I first succeeded with was too worn out from previous attempts) the new rose DOES look significantly better than the simple one.

I also concur that it's better locked, although the correct forming of the bottom requires more effort, at least with me. However i havent still managed to fit the calyx I know (the one at http://danoftoasters.org/?page=3&catnum=3) into the rose. Any hints to how to do that, or propose another calyx? I fear that if i entirely open the bottom, it won't be possible to reclose it.
Get a look at Kawasaki's diagrams if you can - I find his folding method much quicker and clearer than Chan's.
Where can they be found? Which book?

p.s. Can someone enlighten me what's the point of steps 13-16 in Chan's diagrams? Which later fold do they help?

p.p.s. I'll post some pictures of what i folded soon, so that it can be confirmed that it is what it is intended to be ;)
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Jorram wrote:p.s. Can someone enlighten me what's the point of steps 13-16 in Chan's diagrams? Which later fold do they help?
Those steps make the creases for step 24
Jorram

Post by Jorram »

Ah, got it, thanks ;)
gila o

Post by gila o »

I've folded a version of kawasaki rose by Daniele Llavaneras .

This version adds more 4 petals to the rose.
Diagram start from the diagram in the book -Origami For The Connoisseur.
THe version-
http://gallery.origami.free.fr/Auteurs/ ... iacion.pdf

my fold-http://static.flickr.com/26/47645543_6bc6a4b0a7.jpg?v=0
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

gila o wrote:I've folded a version of kawasaki rose by Daniele Llavaneras .
Very nice :-)

I prefer folding the rose this way:

Foldy

Post by Foldy »

hi im new to these forums :D and would like to say hi.

But back to post im stuck trying to fold the 2.3 Kawasaki Rose by Winson Chan which can be found here:
http://www.ensc.sfu.ca/undergrad/euss/e ... page6.html

Ive been on quite a few sites that have photos or videos and most seem to be so old that they arnt there anymore including 2 of the videos on this post and i just cant see others. Ive also tried looking around for more information on the last few steps 20-28 as im stuck on number 20, im not quite experienced enough yet i guess but i decided to give it a shot and id really appreciate any photos/videos that can help me through the end.

if not then id appreciate any links to other roses which might be a little bit easier.

origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

This Link will work for 7 days from now:

http://s54.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2VCA ... BB4YS0RV2J
gila o

Post by gila o »

Foldy,If you still have problems with Chan's rose after watching Anna's excelent video you can try a simpler rose that is the first rose that I've succeded to fold.
http://www.bloom4ever.com/howto/howto01.htm
Good luck!