Origami Roses - Read Me!

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
moki

Post by moki »

origami_8 wrote:Beautiful, I like the first one. :)
And what is the last picture showing?
I like the last one -- beetle paper turns out to work pretty well for folding roses, in that it has a nice balance between holding a fold, and being able to smooth it out later. The shiny surface looks a little odd though. :)

It's just my little zen corner in my home office. The koi scroll is from Malaysia, the "rock" that is sitting on the table is a suieki from Japan. You can see some better pictures of it here
Dan of Toasters

Post by Dan of Toasters »

Jorram wrote:However i havent still managed to fit the calyx I know (the one at http://danoftoasters.org/?page=3&catnum=3) into the rose. Any hints to how to do that, or propose another calyx? I fear that if i entirely open the bottom, it won't be possible to reclose it.
I have found that my calyx does not work very well with the new rose... and by "not very well," I mean not at all.

By the way... Hi, I'm Dan.
D of T? Department of Transportation?
No! Dan of Toasters!
unicycle281

Post by unicycle281 »

What would the precreasing look like (preferably a picture) if i wanted to make the new kawasaki rose out of a pentagon?

Mark :?:
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

There are diagrams on folding the complete rose from a pentagon (including making the pentagon from a square) here and here.
unicycle281

Post by unicycle281 »

are there any with the extra petals like the one in roses, origami, and math? Is there one?

:?:
yoddle

Post by yoddle »

I'm having trouble "ending" the rose posted on DofT.
It seems no matter how many times I try (believe me, I've made almost a hundred to date), the four "squared off ends" that I make never seem quite long enough to overlap each other and close up nicely. The roses I make ends up quite like the one on the finished photo, except for the closed base, which I could never get. I made each rose according to the instructions and even re-learned it several times! It's pretty frustrating ... can anyone tell me what went wrong?

*I tried a "Standard Rose" on another website and that one always turned out fine, including the base, which fitted perfectly, but for the Kawasaki rose, the base seems a little flawed.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Check the precision of your folds. Also, if the squared off ends are giving you problems, try leaving that out and see how well it closes. You don't have to square off the ends if you don't want to.
yoddle

Post by yoddle »

Thanks for the tip!
I think I knew where I went wrong. I folded some steps too tightly such that the bottom petals don't come out, getting stuck. Also I found out that if I opened the top twist fold before I do steps 17 onwards, the bottom closes better, I think I'll just have to work on it from there! :D
Dan of Toasters

wolf wrote:Check the precision of your folds. Also, if the squared off ends are giving you problems, try leaving that out and see how well it closes. You don't have to square off the ends if you don't want to.
And, in fact, if someone is making the rose and does not intend to attach my base, there really isn't any reason why those points need to be squared off at all.. I added that step so that the base would fit properly.
No! Dan of Toasters!
Emelie

Post by Emelie »

doodlebug

thanks so much for the faq! really help out a loots.

i come to the conclution that i should not try to fold kawasaki angled version. as it was that one that made me stop folding origami at all for sewral years. now i got a easyer diagram that i can make! i´m so glad i found this site when i made the search this time, (and not just see kawasaki and stoped becasue i did think i suck). ;)

don´t know if it is off topic, or it is alowed to answer here...

i going to fold a rose i found for my wedding, but where can i find the paper for it? i need some online store whit ok prices. i live in midle of sweden so it´s not realy many stores i can visit for speciall request paper. i know it´s tons of diffrent papper, so if anyone can pls hint me on what papper that look good as a rose :)

just going to keep my tumbs now on that it wont rain, my roses won´t look fun then :lol:
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Emelie wrote:don´t know if it is off topic, or it is alowed to answer here...
Your coments are greatly apreciated :)

About the paper: You should be able to get good paper nearly everywhere, you only have to cut it into the right size. For the Kawasaki rose I would recommend to use a thicker paper than usually used for Origami.
Last edited by origami_8 on August 16th, 2007, 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emelie

Post by Emelie »

going to check out all paper in town then :)
Dan of Toasters

origami_8 wrote:I would recommend to use a thicker paper than usually used for Origami.
I'm not sure how well this translates to the rest of the world but I usually use 24 pound copy paper cut to squares. Astrobrights paper is what my rose-making stockpile consists of.
No! Dan of Toasters!
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Here's a rough conversion guide:

http://www.paper-paper.com/weight.html

So a 24 pound paper translates to about 90 gsm.
noob_folder

Post by noob_folder »

ike all the noobs i'm lost on step 26 on the new rose."josephwu"
the vid in form 4 is just too fast and no sound!!! is there a step by step that still works cuz the others are too old and not there any more!!
please help!!!! thx.
ps i folded 2 of his rose with hard times so i'm alittle slow