Satoshi Kamiya - Wizard

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
insaneorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by insaneorigami »

What do you mean? All that it is is a swivel fold... step 139 is just a picture of what the inside of step 138 looks like - it's just a mountain fold.
140 shows the completed 138.
Kiro

Post by Kiro »

Hello community, I own Kamiya's book and I'm desperately looking for help folding the wizard fingers. I doubt I made a mistake in the preceding folds, but there doesn't seem to be a way to swing the arms fully lose from the robe - part of the robe on the underside of each forearm (for the right arm it's more the staff) appears to be attached to the hand and this prevents the inside reverse fold in the fingers which is the step I cannot get past (#110).

All photos answering this question higher up in the thread have been deactivated, or perhaps my problem would be solved.

I'm trying to make this for a friend's birthday which is in one week. I've taken some pictures of the problem, hopefully they are clear.

I'd appreciate any help I can get and can attempt better pictures/description later if you tell me what is needed. Thanks.

The rectangular section at the fore of the second photo below is the issue - it connects the hand to the staff and I'm wondering if it shouldn't be there. It seems as if the four triangles in the preceding step should have been produced more symmetrically, but that isn't what the diagrams indicate.

Pictures resized by Moderator
PsychoMuffin

Post by PsychoMuffin »

Theres room for the reverse fold of the hand, its just tight. First, it looks like you still need to pull apart the pleats, as steps (72-73 Tanteidan)(105-106 WoSK) indicates. Then once you have those following steps you can make your reverse fold, its just going to start all the way against the forearm / staff bracket hinge (step 75 (111) shows this). Finish the reverse fold so you have enough room for the folds in step 83 (122-123).
-Scott
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

yeah... it seems you haven't pulled the pleats apart to form the fingers in the first place. off hand, your paper looks awful thick... the model is already splaying quite badly (the layers are spreading apart). that's okay for practice, but how good it will look as a gift...
Kijjakarn

Post by Kijjakarn »

I'm surprised no one ever mentioned Kamiya's Wizard that transformed to a dragon in TV Champion (what year?) the first round. I like it very much.
Kiro

Post by Kiro »

Thank you for the comments, however, looking at it again, I believe I can try a few specific questions that may help me:

Regarding the model as diagrammed in step 108, is the lower part (the part with the grayed triangles) supposed to be swinging free, or attached to the staff? If so, is the attached part merely unshown, or is it attached on one side and the extra flaps are just behind the pictured flap? And then, is this other unpictured material supposed to be pleated similarly to what is pictured?

That should help me a good deal.

I'll make another attempt and re-up new pics; what you're looking at is completed through step 108 (unless there's an error). 109-110 is where I'm having my issue. So I had opened the pleats, and I folded four grayed-out triangles and re-pleated (108), however there's a stretch of the lower robe that just is in the way when I try to make the reverse fold (110).

As for the paper, I'm open to suggestions, I'm using a pretty standard pack of 30 cm washi. The only stuff I have thinner is unryu and I would not think it appropriate for holding these folds. It might just be stretching due to my attempts to correct mistakes as I stumble through this model, and I intend to fold another proper one once I've figured out all I'm doing. Still, the fingers are the first real trouble I've had with it.

Edit: Here is the new pic, this is what it looks like as I open out the pleats in preparation for step 106-108:

[img]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm20 ... inger4.jpg[/img]

Again I appreciate any advice about what I've done wrong.
Hydraxon493

Post by Hydraxon493 »

shawn wrote:I hate the fingers on this model. I have tried and tried, I come close to getting past step 75, but then I just get stuck again. I have about 5 or 6 wizards floating around my apartment folded right up to the fingers.....I almost have everything up to this point memorized. :shock: I'm starting to go insane. So I can help up to the fingers as I've said...as long as you let me know what you need.....I don't have a scanner so I can't get the diagrams for anyone....(though I don't even think I'm allowed to do that...anyway). So yah, I will teach children songs about how great a person you are if you can get me past the fingers....anyone!!

~Shawn
Just a pointer...
Try using plain old type paper.
*Don't stare at me that way*
Seriously. Sure the layers get a bit thick about the 100 mark of any model, but it keeps creases well and is easy to find, just plain old A4 paper cut to a square.
To address your problems...
75 is actually fairly easy, once you know how.
Looking at 73, you see a pleating crease pattern that has a bit of a mess-up towards the top right corner. And you see some pleating down at the bottom edge there. JUST REPEAT THE PLEATING WITH THE POINTS COMING TOGETHER AT THE END. That's what got me through it.
Model will not lie flat.

Also, does anyone have a copy of pages 188-189, 'cos my copy doesn't have those pages for some reason.

-Origaminut
Didée

Post by Didée »

Hydraxon493 wrote:... 'cos my copy doesn't have those pages for some reason.
After the bank robbery, you return to the bank and complain that the bills are spoiled with red ink? You're funny!

You should look e.g. here. It definetly has all pages, and in good quality!

Better stop with your postings about illegal copies of books.
topsu

Post by topsu »

You sure he/she meant 'illegal copy' instead of just having a legal copy of the book, bought from a legal shop? I haven't read the whole topic, so excuse me if I'm wrong. I've heard people complaining about those pages missing before, so maybe it's one of those. If his/her diagrams are illegal, you're totally correct of course.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

topsu wrote:You sure he/she meant 'illegal copy' instead of just having a legal copy of the book, bought from a legal shop?
if one goes through the thread, at least 3-4 people are missing the exact same pages. turns out they have dogs/parrots/sugar gliders/malay tapirs that all have a taste for those exact pages from the works of SK.

or, it could be they've decided that forum posters have the wits of a turnip and downloaded the same illegal copy that is missing those pages.

you decide.

it's interesting to see that people think that paging through a thread before posting is so difficult. i mean, this was discussed not one page ago.
Last edited by bethnor on December 9th, 2009, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Didée

Post by Didée »

"Do only shout when you are sure", and so I am. Not only it's ridiculous that all little brothers in the world do always rip-out the same sides 188+189 (and coincidentially it's those very pages that are missing in the illegal copy of WoSK that's floating around). Moreover, just yesterday s/he had put a link to exactly that PDF on this forum ( the post has been deleted in the meantime). Proof? No. But sufficient evidence, more than enough.
topsu

Post by topsu »

Well, you guys are probably right, so... [-X
northerfolder

Post by northerfolder »

I have some broblems in step 91 (Kamiyas book). I cant find any hidden layers from inside. Do i have to open part of the pleats or something?
Juanfran

Post by Juanfran »

My folding, one of my first tries on this cool model:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31632261@N03/4519604181/
Juanfran

Post by Juanfran »

northerfolder, on 91 you have to release the graft along the edges so you can make the fingers with it. Hope it helps.