Satoshi Kamiya - Wizard

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

good 8)
Friet

Post by Friet »

I ordered the "Works of..' book 2 and a half week ago and I got it the day before yesterday. I tried the wizard today and this is the result of my first attempt. (you can see the yellow bird in the 3rd picture as well)

And yeah, the fingers are indeed a bitch. Spent a lot of time on those as well.

[img]http://www.student.tue.nl/P/i.d.kogel/Tovenaar1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.student.tue.nl/P/i.d.kogel/Tovenaar2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.student.tue.nl/P/i.d.kogel/Tovenaar3.jpg[/img]
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

yu need pleet too the clouk

< ..< ..<
Friet

Post by Friet »

Nah, I think my cloak is fine the way it is.
I folded it with a 35x35 cm sheet of standard origami paper, next time I'll try to fold it with 24x24 cm tissue paper. (because I don't know where to get bigger tissue paper) I'll make some pictures when I'm folding the hands for the people that are stuck there, but it could take a while, I have my final exams in 2 weeks so I won't have much time for folding.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Friet wrote:Nah, I think my cloak is fine the way it is.
I folded it with a 35x35 cm sheet of standard origami paper, next time I'll try to fold it with 24x24 cm tissue paper. (because I don't know where to get bigger tissue paper) I'll make some pictures when I'm folding the hands for the people that are stuck there, but it could take a while, I have my final exams in 2 weeks so I won't have much time for folding.
Just make sure you put a clear title to the thread including the pictures. Some of us will be very interested in checking it
pnpurdue

Post by pnpurdue »

I was wondering what size paper did Satoshi used to make his wizard? Too small of paper makes the wizard too thick and extremely hard to work with :-( I've been trying with like a 11"x11" regular computer paper. And the fingers are still killers. hhaa so freaking hard. It's almost not worth folding for me anymore. It's has been a pain. I've also have been working on the Bahamut--once again that's also a pain. I just don't have big enough paper. And also it's a pain. I think right now the only enjoyable origami to make is the Kawahata Pegasus Original. Looks great! and no pleating haha It's fun much less frustratinng than this Wizard *sigh*
Friet

Post by Friet »

The book recommends using 35x35 cm paper for the Wizard and 50x50 cm paper for the Bahamut. I used 35x35 cm regular origami paper for the wizard, but I think it could be a lot smaller. (not when you're using plain copy paper though :p) .

The woman from the only origami store in the Netherlands recommended "kraftpapier" (kraftpaper). She said it's the stuff they use in (book)stores for packaging and stuff like that. It's as thin as the regular origami paper, maybe a bit thicker, but it comes in big rolls so it could be very handy for complex models. I'll probably try to get my hands on some to make the bahamut and ancient dragon.
pnpurdue

Post by pnpurdue »

w00t!!!!! thank you a WHOLEEEE bunch! you are amazing. Very clear diagrams. I will try this wizard out again. Saving your photos to Satoshi wizard diagram folder :-) VERY Helpful.
pnpurdue

Post by pnpurdue »

I never get this but why don't ppl diagram with photos! Like Friet. I mean it's amazingly clear and the finish product understandable. Wouldn't that solve most problems or all problems that the current method of diagramming fails? One aspect that this may present a problem is that printing books maybe a littler more expesnive due to color photos.
malachi

Post by malachi »

I find photographs less clear and concise than diagrams for most models.
phil

Post by phil »

Has anyone had luck wet folding this model? It seems like it would be helpful for some details, but the box pleating and number of steps would probably make it difficult.
I wet folded the wizard and it worked pretty good. I did all the precreasing dry. I didn't wet the whole model, I used a wet cloth to slightly dampen the area I was working on. I dryed it in a microwave & shaped it while it was warm.

Picture

Here's one I folded today out of a 10 inch piece of tissue foil. I saw one folded like this somewere(can't rember were) and thought I would try it.

Fire mage 1
Picture 2
Friet

Post by Friet »

Wow! The fire mage looks great! Nice job!
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

I saw one folded like this somewere(can't rember were) and thought I would try it.
It was Peter Farina who came up with the fire mage variation, plus some others:

Link
shawn

Post by shawn »

Thank you.....I shall now arbitrarily name a building in my city after you! Also, I think I will hit the art store on my way home and try to fold this little beast again. Thanks again sooooo much. I will probably be asking more questions, but the parts I was stuck with I think you have covered. Thank you every! :shock: :D