Satoshi Kamiya - Wizard

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
FunkeeFolder

Post by FunkeeFolder »

I find tweezers work in a pinch especially when I do something stupid like try to make Lang's tree frog with 10 cm paper the first time I folded it.....what was I thinking! But tweezers saved the day....sorta :lol: !!! But I'm with you on that I like to use my hands though so I'm sorta in the middle ground (like I am in everything else! :D )

Funkee Folder
You can make one of those swan thingys! Wow!
-----------------------
Quote from one of the many people who mistook a crane for a swan. Don't you just love em'!
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

but I really couldn't see myself folding with a special 'folding' tool.
who talked about special folding tools? I only suggested to use any kind of tool for folding processes, that could hardly be done with the hands (e.g. when the flaps are too small for the fingers).
I find tweezers work in a pinch
I use tweezers and a small screwdriver to get deeper into tiny pockets :)

Christian
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I was going to start a thread about the tweezers but since we are on the topic here, what kind of tweezers do you mean?

Those to pull the hairs from your nose? Seriously, wouldn't they tear the paper?
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

No, there's actually a very wide variety of tweezers around. A good place to find them would be an electronics store. Plastic tweezers are softer and gentler on the paper than metal ones, but I find that you can't transmit enough force along them to grip stiff paper well. Metal tweezers come with two main tip shapes: pointy or flat, with a round nose. Pointy ones will poke through the paper, but the round ones won't (although you still have to be careful with the amount of force you apply).

Here's some pictures of tweezers. The second and third pictures from the top show rounded tweezers; these are the ones you'll want to use.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

we started a "folding tools" thread once. you can find it here:

http://snkhan.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph ... ight=tools

please use this one, instead of going off-topic :)

Christian
Rakura

Kamya's wizard

Post by Rakura »

Can I find this diagram on the Internet?
TheRealChris

Re: Kamya's wizard

Post by TheRealChris »

Rakura wrote:Can I find this diagram on the Internet?
Kamiya's wizard? No!

Christian
fire_phoenix

Post by fire_phoenix »

lol...can we find anyting on the internet? :P
"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth."
- Umberto Eco
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

fire_phoenix wrote:lol...can we find anyting on the internet? :P
no, you can GET nearly anything over the internet (legal and illegal) but you definately can't FIND anything IN THE NET :)

:lol:

Christian
Last edited by TheRealChris on August 30th, 2005, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T

Post by T »

Dont know if this topic is still being watched.

Anyway, I tried this model for the first time today, Ive read through the whole topic and Im stilling having trouble with the first bit of the hands.

Im using the Works of satoshi kamiyza book and I cant do step 105. This is the part when you open the pleats. This was the first picture in the diagrams another user kindly made (thanks) earlier in the topic.

i dont know if Im looking at the wrong flap or wsomething but on my model the flap the diagrams refer to cant be opened without a good deal of the model comnig unfolded. Also is part of the model not meant to lie flat during this step?

If anyone has the time I wouldbe happy with any extra info about this step or even pictures or video.

Thanks Very Much for your time

T
Friet

Post by Friet »

It's true that you can't open the hand pleats without opening a bit of the model (surrounding the hands) but you should be able to perform the steps without altering the surrounding layers. Just fold them back once you're done.
T

Post by T »

Thanks I got through this step eventually the rest was pretty doable. Made two of this model out of 30cm kraft paper, Ill try it with tissue foil soon.

Question: I saw a picture of a fire mage which was a variation of the wizard. Is there any real difference in folding this model or do I just partially undfold the staff to make it look like fire? ALso could someone give me the link to this photo (I lost it).?

Thanks very much
Friet

Post by Friet »

Err. That question was already answered in this thread :)
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

Keeping the pleats after shaping the robe was the hardest part for me.
Maybe practice with spreading/flattening pleats with a seperate sheet will help.
I used a 30cm sheet of tissue foil for my first attempt.
ImageImage
platypusguy

Post by platypusguy »

really i thought that the fingers were quite easy the precreasing was the problem with me it is hard to explaine and i will get back to you on this