Best Way to Diagram?

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I can't print a video...

...and when you've already done the drawings why not publish them in a printable form?
Drgn

Post by Drgn »

Notefolds, I think you mean showing a picture of the computer-drawn diagram along with the video?
That could be good but you may not need a video if you already have clear diagrams (unless it's to show beginners on YT how to fold it).

I've done models a while back where I watched the video and followed along with the diagrams. That way there was no mistaking what was going on.

However I believe Origami_8 brings the most important point - how portable is it. Of all the "Portable" diagrams (i.e. hand drawn, computer drawn, photographed), than computer drawn by far. I pretty much compared all of them in my first post :-P
Finward

Post by Finward »

So, what about the ultimate technique of diagramming in stop motion????? Of course, you need a lot of practice to do it correctly, but I imagine its a good option. i really dont know, im just talking for talk. I only know ive delayed months trying to draw diagrams that haven't gone farther than step 30...
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

d_music_master wrote:... I can't afford all those computer programs and such
How aboout if its free.

Personally, I make computer drawn diagrams, and I prefer them because I've always found that they show more than photo diagrams. Plus, they're easier to look at and have a smaller file size. For my final picture of the completed model, I import my picture and trace it.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Cupcake wrote:For my final picture of the completed model, I import my picture and trace it.
Why? The last step of the diagrams should lead to a completed figure…
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

Why? ...'cause it looks nice. Unless you spend a huge amount of time on the diagrams, you can't capture the three-dimensionality that many models have. This isn't as crucial earlier on, as many models leave the shaping until the last few steps.

And also, Inkscape has a really cool function that allows you to make vector graphics from an image file. I've started playing with inkscape recently, and it's almost as fast as pen & paper, once you get used to it.
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

One can expect, that original photograph of the final model looks much better in diagram. But its vector re-draw and convert to gray-scale is much suitable for eventual publishing in the future. Full-color photograph should be on the other page.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz