Satoshi Kamiya - Ancient Dragon

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
JamesMunro

Post by JamesMunro »

With some sweat and tears and a lot of help by reading this thread I've almost completed the dragon. Unfortunately I am completely baffled by step 241 where it states that I need to perform a half-open / closed sink on the front / back layers of the dragon head. The text seems to state that this step is required to thin the neck. Can someone explain how this is done?
JamesMunro

Post by JamesMunro »

@TopQuark If you look ahead to step 129 you'll notice what looks like a bird base with a waterbomb base beneath. If you precrease the edge in step 127 that aligns with the left edge of the waterbomb base you should then find that the paper falls into place when you attempt to form the paper as in step 128. Sorry if the explanation sounds a little vague as I don't have any example pictures but this was what I did that suddenly made it all make sense (to me at least). Good luck!
topquark

Post by topquark »

Thanks, James. Actually, I was already able to solve that and for a while got stuck in the pleating of the toes. When I finally got it, the feet were already a crumpled mess, so now I've decided to chuck that first attempt and start again from the top, arrrgghh.
JamesMunro

Post by JamesMunro »

I've finally finished the model! Now to refold it again now that I know how not to go wrong to the point of tearing the paper on most of the steps!

orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

great job! but next time i would pinch the horns instead of twist them.
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
JamesMunro

Post by JamesMunro »

I agree, I'm afraid I had to resort to a twist though due to fraying paper at the wing tip! :oops:
Trouble
Forum Sensei

Post by Trouble »

ah yes, with the fraying all i can reccomend is folding sharper creases in the wings .
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

i wish i could make the ancient dragon but need help on step 51 - 58
My youtube account please check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thefolder1? ... sults_main
origamistudent101

satoshi kamiya ancient dragon

Post by origamistudent101 »

Hi every one . I am currently folding the ancient dragon and I am stuck on step 133. Can someone provide me insight on how to sink this? Thanks.
origamistudent101

satoshi kamiya ancient dragon

Hello I joined the forum a few days ago. I need help folding step 180. The diagram is not clear to me. I need help desperately for this is my first complex model and I don't want it to be the last. Thanks!
origamistudent101

ancient dragon

Hey I need help on step 185. This may be simple to others but when I try to sink it it won't obey pictures would be help ful. Thanks!
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

ok, look. you seem to be posting for help every hour. you seemed to have solved several steps on your own. why don't you give it a couple of days and ask for help when you absolutely cannot do something. i mean, it would be very vexing to get all that way to make pics for you, only to have you solve it on your own in an hour.
origamistudent101

ok im sorry for being a bother. I am excited about being almost done with this model. I will post tomorrow if i dont figure it out. and sorry again to be a bother.[/quote]
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

The precreasing is incredibly boring. -_-

My first attempt is in the process. I'm using 75cm^2 wrapping paper. Just generic wrapping paper. I don;t think it'll work all to well. What do you all think?
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

^^

yes, the precreasing is extremely tedious. only nguyen cung huong's eagle is worse, IMHO. the only really fun part of this model is when you form the legs/claws. the repeated thinning required to shape the horns is also very tedious. this is all made worse by the fact that this model looks best with the largest square possible, and especially with wrapping paper, it tends to flop around quite a bit.

one of the reasons why i'm actually not super-excited about actual diagrams for the phoenix. when one watches the time lapse video, it appears kamiya basically precreases the CP and collapses it. not fun.