Satoshi Kamiya - Ancient Dragon

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
phil

Post by phil »

Yeah, the fist time I folded it it took a couple of days worth of folding. I think this is the 7th time I've folded it, not counting the two that ripped during folding.
pnpurdue

Post by pnpurdue »

phil can you help us on the dragon? I'm having particular trouble with step number 83...84...85...well around that part of the diagrams. The paper gets too thick at this part and it tends to tear.
Friet

Post by Friet »

Friet wrote:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
Didn't those pictures help?

btw, if it's the thickness of the paper that's the problem, don't you think you should try some different paper?
phil

Post by phil »

Friet's pictures should help. In step 83 fold the flap to the left incorperating reverse folds at the top and bottom. The sinks in steps 84-86 are the same as the sinks in steps 72-75 just ignore the extra flap that is locked in place at the top. I would try to find some lighter paper also.

I folded another dragon today. I took Photos of the method I came up with to add the pleats on the belly Satoshi Kamiya mentions in the description. I came up with this method to get the pleats distributed evenly. It basicly uses a slightly modifyed version of the pleats in Satoshi Kamiya's Inoshishigami.

Belly Pleat Instructions
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

yes the 83, 84 it is diffcult
pnpurdue wrote:ayaa such a hard model! haha so I thought I could finish this model, but stuck on #84. The paper gets too thick at this step. Help origami friends :-)
Origami Freak Frankfurt

Post by Origami Freak Frankfurt »

hello can someone help me with steps 135 to 139???
i have no idea how many layers to open or what to flatten
can someone help me???
perhabs with a short film or some pictures???
thank you all for help
greetings, steffen
(mail: steffenreul@gmx.de)
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I quote another person:
I'm not sure how to do step 59 at all...do I do the back and front at the same time? What happens to the middle flap when you do this?

Thanks

Shao
T

Post by T »

I am gonna try this model pretty soon. I have a 1.218m roll of (origami) kraft paper (black on one side white on the other) that should be big enough shouldn't it?
mastermattdude

Post by mastermattdude »

That size might be good it depends on if the paper is thick enough. I tried using a piece of paper around that size but the paper was kinda thick. And guess what???? :x It turned out extremely horrible. So I guess if your paper is thin and holds folds well that should be good. Just don't be to sad if it isn't too good. I think only a huge piece of tissue foil would make a almost perfect model.
Friet

Post by Friet »

I folded the dragon from a 50x50 cm piece of kraft paper, so a 121 cm roll should be fine :)
T

Post by T »

I just finished making the paper, I decided in the end to cover the white side in foil. It is now a 121cm square of kraft paper with foil on the back
T

Post by T »

Ok i finished folding, it probably took about 2-3 hours in total.

It wasn't easy to fold, in fact the large size made it harder. Precreasing became very hard to handle and also the thickness of the paper was very large at times because of the extra layer of foils.

However I managed to finish it and the foil on the back allowed for some nice sculpting. It came out very big I´d guess around 30 - 40 cm in total and weighs as much as a small cat!

I´ll post pics when I take them.
pnpurdue

Post by pnpurdue »

I must say I'm afraid of this model. haha the time put into making it is way too much for me. Well let me back up and say-I havn't been able to make it still. My congrats go out to those who can successfully make it :P
naoki

Post by naoki »

what book is this diagram in?
:?:
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »