Satoshi Kamiya - Ancient Dragon

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
florigami

Re: Finished

Post by florigami »

fariady wrote:Hi
thank you so much for the all support offered in this topic.
I finished my first dragon, I skipped some steps in the head and the step 189, but I will get better.

Below, some pictures.

nice dragon
Ronn55555

Re: Satoshi Kamiya - Ancient Dragon

Post by Ronn55555 »

any one know whats the best paper to use for the ancient dragon?
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/75596271@N07/
The process of making is the point of it. The object looks good if the process felt good.
-Paul Jackson
Krikke

Post by Krikke »

Ronn55555 wrote:any one know whats the best paper to use for the ancient dragon?
I would suggest a very strong and very thin paper. If you want to get very nice looking details, use a large sheet. I use a 64 cm square. If you want to do a test fold, many people use wrapping paper. To me however this usually does not give good results. Because you need a very large and thin sheet most people use tissue-foil. However, because of the many sinks this paper is quite hard to use for the ancient dragon, in my opinion. I use unryu paper (I believe this is 25 gsm) threated with MC, this is very strong and thin, and produces nice results. You can also do some finish details using MC for shaping. The paper can however be hard to find.
tryingtofoldsumthing

Post by tryingtofoldsumthing »

Ronn55555 wrote:any one know whats the best paper to use for the ancient dragon?
I use double tissue paper, simply two sheets of tissue paper bonded together with MC, there are plenty of guides on how to make that. However, MC can be hard to find, so if you can get your hands on some, it is relatively cheap and you can get tissue paper really cheap as well. I got mine at Blick's Art Materials. I think double tissue is best because it is thin, light, easy to shape using some MC, and can be reverse-folded. All in all though, the best paper to fold something is the stuff you can find :D
Matt
If it's just mountain and valley folds, how hard could it be?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tryingtofoldsumthing/
Carsen

Post by Carsen »

I'm having trouble with steps 179-182. I don't know where all the flaps should go. Step 179 says to fold all the layers to the right and it just makes the model so think I can't tell what is going on. Can someone please tell me how to do these steps? Pictures would be great if anyone can post them!
Ronn55555

Post by Ronn55555 »

Krikke wrote:The paper can however be hard to find.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try to use VOG crumpled paper(64cm by 64cm) for my next attempt.
The process of making is the point of it. The object looks good if the process felt good.
-Paul Jackson
Ronn55555

Post by Ronn55555 »

Heres my attempt with VOG crumpled:
I did not use any wires or anything i just used a little bit of glue to prevent the head and tail to pop up.
Other than that nothing else. I was able to shape the horn, claws and head nicely without glue.
-Paul Jackson
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

Krikke wrote:
I would suggest a very strong and very thin paper. If you want to get very nice looking details, use a large sheet. I use a 64 cm square. If you want to do a test fold, many people use wrapping paper. To me however this usually does not give good results. Because you need a very large and thin sheet most people use tissue-foil. However, because of the many sinks this paper is quite hard to use for the ancient dragon, in my opinion. I use unryu paper (I believe this is 25 gsm) threated with MC, this is very strong and thin, and produces nice results. You can also do some finish details using MC for shaping. The paper can however be hard to find.
i have a huge sheet of red unyru would it be good if i cut it to size? i believe it is 20 or 30 gsm.
Krikke

Post by Krikke »

GWB origami wrote:i have a huge sheet of red unyru would it be good if i cut it to size? i believe it is 20 or 30 gsm.
Yes, I believe that unryu is one of the best choices of paper for the Ancient Dragon. Do not forget to threat the paper with MC though before folding.
sajprj

Post by sajprj »

i've recently started the ancient dragon, and i was wondering, if it gets a little bit easier after doing all the pre-creases.
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

no it does not. i have tried and failed. it just keeps getting harder after the pre-creases
Raptorex55

Post by Raptorex55 »

I find that the some of the most accessible, and cheapest paper for this model is tracing paper. You can buy a 19x24 pad for about $22 at most craft stores.  I was quite pleased with this paper, even for my first attempt, I found it to be better than ny next one done with tissue foil.  (I have since made one from a 5 inch sheet of tracing paper :D) The ancient dragon probably has the most step-helps, indeed, short of an entire tutorial; which makes it a very accessible model. So I wouldn't deter anyone from attempting it regardless of the paper size, or your experience level. At the very least it will help you to fold other models.
sajprj

Post by sajprj »

i am having trouble at step 66. i cannot seem to find any creases on the left side, but on the right side i can. :? i'm pretty confused. could someone post some pics on how to do step 66? i've already googled "how-to's", so dont tell me to go do that.

thanks!
Raptorex55

Post by Raptorex55 »

In step 25, when. You creased through the spread sink fold you should have connected the series of pleats with a trapezoid shape. (that extends to the opposite edge of the paper) In step 66 you are terminating the pleats by using those creases. At the same time it is nesecarry to fold the paper up and swing it across using the slim triangle created in step 25 (the small sunken part) Start by spreading the layers and folding the small triangle up then use the creases terminate the pleats. If your still having trouble I'll upload some pictures.
blubaibi33

Post by blubaibi33 »

This step.. yeah it can very be tricky for people with bad paper, I've tried it with butcher paper full length size, which is I think about 60 inches? (I don't know to be honest, but let's just say I can sit on the full size paper and have it cover half my body... :) ) and I didnt get too much tear on that one... must be thats why they warp meat with it ;D but yeah back to the topic, its just a diagonal sink in 4 directions, easit way to practice something like this is to make a basic petal fold base used for origami crane, then sink the top HALF of the triagle in and THEN do the double sink.. it helps me loads sometimes whenver I get frustrated I practice that.. sorry for the lengthy reply but GOOD LUCK ON THIS MODLE ^-^
Rawr! *Nomnomnom*