Satoshi Kamiya - Ancient Dragon

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
train

Post by train »

Step 55-56-57-58:
I am confusing at these steps. In step 53, we fold the edge up and therefore there will be three layer. Is that right? If so, in step 55-56-57-58, how to solve the middle layer?
Which step am I wrong? I dont know how to treat with the middle layer.
Pls help me!!! Thanks very much.
Diopside

Post by Diopside »

I need help with the step 83, though you have sent some pictures, now i dont understand it. So somebody can help me. Thhx
Dyrad

Post by Dyrad »

hey! I have probs around step 56.. i dont know if the pleat you fold in 46/47 is in the right place! here is a picture from step 57 ( plan view), hope you are able to help me! thx Image
Diopside

Post by Diopside »

I have successfully made the ancient dragon, it looks a bit stiff, but it's made.
Step 83 wasnt so hard, althought i didnt looked the back of the flaps where was the problem.
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

yes some step it is very probem
earth

Post by earth »

I'm having trouble with Step 84 too. But first, i would like to clarify if I'm doing Step 83 correctly. Do I fold both layers together or just one? I would also like to seek help for Step 84, I've looked at the pictures on the first page but still can't get it. :(

thevoid

Post by thevoid »

ok - i have read the whole topic now... id didnt help :(

im stuck on step 66/67 ... if anybody got pictures of this steps, that would be great

i think i have done the squashing part, for step 66 not good enough so i "lost" my reference creases...
my Origami Gallery
zifeiji

Post by zifeiji »

earth - it's one layer. There's an earlier post with pics you can refer to. Link - http://www.student.tue.nl/p/i.d.kogel/merijn/ad2.jpg

I am attempting the same model for the 2nd time (first attempt, i ended up paper so thick it was unfoldable. Maybe because I used 50cm copier paper). I don't quite get step 73 though. :? How do you do an open sink on the little corner that's folded up in step 72? Anyone?
~zifeiji~
can't cut a good perfect square!
earth

Post by earth »

Thanks zifeiji, however the photo seems to only have one layer compared to 2 layers since it's only a mock.

thevoid - I tried to take some pictures of the sink but it only shows the sunk result rather than the process since i only took it after I was stuck at step 85 (again :x)

Hope that helps, but if otherwise I'm sorry.
Step 84 is really a killer :evil: This is my second time attempting it.
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

thanks! so finally i can try to continue :)... but i think i have to restart too
my Origami Gallery
thechaosofpeace

Ancient Dragon Wings

Post by thechaosofpeace »

Hey, I'm on my 4th attempt of the Ancient Dragon, but I still haven't managed to figure out how to make the wings! I've had to make really cheesy substitutes :oops:

could anyone help me through steps 190-197? Preferably with pictures, too. Thanks alot!
McGG

Post by McGG »

hi im 15 and ive jus started origami. i know it sounds stupid but i want to try this dragon. i can make the crane and the hydralisk crane with great ease and i thought i might challenge myself, i will only do about 5-10 steps a day or until i get to confused. LOL . i want to know where the instructions for this dragon is and where to get 1mx1m paper what is the book called.i might need you all on hand ready to help me though. by the way how many steps are there.TO ALL, I THANK YOU!!!!!
posted by McGG
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

This is just a suggestion McGG but, if you just started origami, you might not want to try this dragon right away. It's possible you won't understand much of the steps and won't be able to finish it, which would be a waste of money as the book is pretty expensive. If you still want to try it, the book's called Works of Satoshi Kamiya 1995-2002.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

At 5 steps a day, it will take you 3 months. And that's if you count the "repeat" steps each as a single step. It's diagrammed at 273 steps. It's in the book Works of Satoshi Kamiya. There are a lot of amazing origami pieces in that book.

I very much recommend against folding this. It's extremely difficult to make a good one even for a very experienced complex folder. I'm not recommending against complex origami, just a lot of Kamiya's stuff. If you want to start complex folding, I recommend starting with something easier, such as that by John Montroll, whose books are very easy to find at the bookstore. Especially in his older books, he uses a complex-style folding that will help you get accustomed, without the models actually being complex. I don't like John Montroll's work anymore, but it is a great learning tool.

That said, the book really is spectacular, and I do encourage you to buy it. It was not widely published, released by Origami House, and cost $52 when I bought it. You cannot find it in stores. You can order it from Origami House ( http://www.origamihouse.jp ). Origami-USA and perhaps some other origami societies carry it too.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I agree with origamimasterjared about going a bit more slowly.

Altho I'm a bit more experienced than a new folder, I still don't consider myself an advanced or complex folder, even though I've been folding for many years.

This is not the Dragon, but it is a good example of the complexity:
viewtopic.php?t=2455&highlight=kamiya+phoenix+video

However, I have a suggestion for those folks who are not gifted, but have gone thru the practice of going from novice to super complex folders (and designers:

As origamimasterjared suggested about Montroll, could you suggest a specific list of 10 -20 models that you personally folded to help you climb the experience ladder to supercomplex if possible...

My List:
1. Flapping Bird - Folding paper puppets, Oppenheimer & Lewis
2. Jumping Frog - Paper Folding for Beginners, Murray & Rigney
3. Iguanodon - Origami Museum I, Yoshizawa
4. Dog - Dollar Bill Animals in Origami, Montroll
5. Flamingo (Cerceda) - The Best of Origami, Randlett
6. Blintz Bird Base Bug (Rhoads) - The Best of Origami, Randlett
7. Scarlet Carp - The Art of Origami, Randlett
8. It's Magic (Rohm) - Secrets of Origami, Harbin
9. Jack in The Box (Hulme) - Complete Origami, Kenneway
10. Cockatoo - Origami Animals, Lang
11. Grand Piano (Crawford) - Origami 4, Harbin
12. Full Masted Ship (Crawford) - Origami Step-by-Step, Harbin
13. The Last Waltz, Neal Elias - BOS 10.
14. Mooser's Train - Origami Design Secrets, Lang
15. Wedge Flexicube - David Brill (http://www.britishorigami.info/)

This list is representative of my progress with Origami over the past years. The specific sources or models may not be critical, but these were the general steps that I followed to become an intermediate folder.

Other experiences ?

- Hank Simon