Satoshi Kamiya - Ancient Dragon

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Frydrych

Post by Frydrych »

Friet wrote:The book recommends using paper of atleast 50x50 cm.
I used 50x50 cm kraft paper which wasn't very thin, and found it too thick to work with in the end. So I'd suggest you find some bigger stuff. Maybe you can find a big roll of giftwrap paper (those are usually about 70 cm wide), and as thin as possible ofcourse.
I had similar story with paper sizes.
I had been folding this dragon from CP before diagram appeared and at the beginning I chose 50x50cm square of kraft paper. After having collapsed the base I could see that modelling would be difficult so I fantasiezed a little and got such a result (1, 2).
Next time I took 70x70cm coloured kraft paper and I managed to model it quite good (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

And here's the whole gallery.

Joseph Wu wrote:He's been doing this on the Origami List for a long time. At first, people tried to understand him and to answer his questions. Some people got annoyed. Now most people just ignore him. Isn't it easier to assume mental incompetence than to get angry?
After long time I got used to rockmanex6's writting style and I even started to understand him. Nevertheless I'd like to ask you rockmax6 to make an effort to write in more comprehensible way.

Regards,
Friet

Post by Friet »

That modified dragon is awesome!

ancient peacock dragon!
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

TheRealChris wrote:I think the right term is "parchment paper", maybe somebody can approve :)
Different names for the same thin translucent material - parchment, pergamyn, pergamano, pergamino, glassine, etc.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

wolf wrote:
TheRealChris wrote:I think the right term is "parchment paper", maybe somebody can approve :)
Different names for the same thin translucent material - parchment, pergamyn, pergamano, pergamino, glassine, etc.
They're not all exactly the same, however. Glassine is almost like tracing paper, while parchment paper is mostly opaque. And real parchment is made out of sheep skin. I've got a huge roll of lampshade parchment that I bought very cheaply from a lamp store that was going out of business. I thought maybe I could fold it. Boy was I wrong!
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Uh oh, thread drift. :P
Joseph Wu wrote:They're not all exactly the same, however. Glassine is almost like tracing paper, while parchment paper is mostly opaque. And real parchment is made out of sheep skin.
Isn't that called vellum? But then scrapbooking vellum is different from the real vellum, so there's even more confusion there. Then there's kitchen parchment which is sort of translucent, sort of like tracing paper. Whee. Caveat Emptor. :D
Joseph Wu wrote:I've got a huge roll of lampshade parchment that I bought very cheaply from a lamp store that was going out of business. I thought maybe I could fold it. Boy was I wrong!
We've all got stories like that, I'm sure. I've got two 1000-sheet stacks of hamburger wrappers, assorted yucky foil wrap, various wallpaper rolls, one roll of aluminium sheeting - all mostly unfoldable (for me anyway) and collecting dust... :)
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Getting back on topic: I'm about halfway done the ancient dragon, working with a 40x40 cm sheet of thin Origamido paper. It looks like it will work out just fine.
phil

Post by phil »

The first time I folded it I used a 10 inch piece of American matte foil, it came out alright. I use the matte foil for most of my first attemps then I use better paper.

Here's a picture
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

thanks, I will keep that in my mind :)
I thought maybe I could fold it. Boy was I wrong!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Christian
pnpurdue

Post by pnpurdue »

ayaa such a hard model! haha so I thought I could finish this model, but stuck on #84. The paper gets too thick at this step. Help origami friends :-)
Friet

Post by Friet »

The only advice I can give you is to get huge paper :)

I'm going to try it again soon. This time with a 70x70 piece of tissue paper.
I bought some at a local hobby store. It's rather thin, made from silk, and
completely white. I think a white dragon would look pretty cool.
pnpurdue

Post by pnpurdue »

I've been using a using a 60cm x 60cm. White as well. It's a 20lb heavy paper.
pnpurdue

Post by pnpurdue »

has anybody successfully made this dragon recently? Friet how about you? Got it yet :-?
Friet

Post by Friet »

Yeah I made it a while ago.

some pics:

1, 2, 3, 4.

I'm going to try again after I finish some other models in the book.
(I already did the wizard, orca, splash! swan, eagle ray, bahamut, unicorn, yellow bird, inoshishigami and kirin.)
phil

Post by phil »

I made This one a couple of days ago out of a 17 inch Tissue foil sandwich. It took me about 4 and a half hours to fold. I had still have trouble folding the head, it's a tough model to fold.

Dragon
Friet

Post by Friet »

4,5 hours? Damn, it took me three times as long :/