Satoshi Kamiya - Ancient Dragon

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
naoki

Post by naoki »

domo arigoto
Origami Freak Frankfurt

Great!!!!!

Post by Origami Freak Frankfurt »

Hiu thank everybody for help.
i´ve finished the dragon some weeks (2~3) ago^^
thank you all for helping
pnpurdue

Post by pnpurdue »

w00t!! congrats!
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

well done, Steffen, that dragon is great :)

Christian
increddibelly

just love that dragon :-)

Post by increddibelly »

hey all :-) some lovely pictures here.
I love this dragon... I've almost finished my first attempt, just the head and the wings left. This is a nice challenge!
I've used 70x70 wrapping paper, with different colors on either side, from the HEMA (a dutch department store)
It's pretty thick paper, but I've put strong clamps on the thick parts overnight, and it gives a pretty sharp edge on those tough areas.
I'll post pictures when it's finished :)
mastermattdude

Post by mastermattdude »

I also have finished this model and it turned out great with tissue foil. Here are some pictures.

Image and Image
esato

Post by esato »

mastermattdude, what size of paper did you use ?
Friet

Post by Friet »

I folded an ancient dragon from a piece of 35x35 cm piece of kami a while ago. I'll post some pictures when I get my camera back next week.
mastermattdude

Post by mastermattdude »

I am pretty sure I used about 95- 100 cm tissue foil. Also before I did this model I did 3 trials with craft paper.
increddibelly

Post by increddibelly »

Guys I could use some help with the head here - I'm having trouble with steps 237.
It says: Look inside and pull out layer; right, okay, but there's about 16 layers of paper to look inside?
There have been more steps for this dragon that had "Look Inside" in the description, and somehow these are the most complex... I just wish he'd be more specific, like in step 239 where it says "open two layers and look inside.", instead of just "look inside..."

It seems he's suggesting some sort of squash fold? Unfortunately, nothing on my dragon's throat seems to squash :-(

I'd really appreciate some help here! :?:

For reference:
http://blogger.xs4all.nl/bpsn/gallery/image/50465.aspx

PS Friet, where do you get that 35x35 paper? I noticed you're a Dutchie too :-)
esato

Post by esato »

mastermattdude wrote:I am pretty sure I used about 95- 100 cm tissue foil. Also before I did this model I did 3 trials with craft paper.
How did the models folded from kraft paper turn out ?

How did you do such large tissue foil ?
mastermattdude

Post by mastermattdude »

The dragons that I made with craft paper turned out bad in the end. They went pretty well until step 200 -ish because of the extrme thickness(which is why I made this one with tissue foil). I made the tissue foil by making95-100 cm tin foil and then spry gluing 4 pieces of tissue paper on it. I didn't have enough red tissue paper for the other side though.
increddibelly

Post by increddibelly »

finished!! I skipped step 237 altogether, didn't seem to be a problem? Strange.
Anyway, the head is really impressive :shock:
Lovely how the layers of paper look like a skin of scales.
It helps if you put the *almost* finished model between some very heavy books :-)
Friet

Post by Friet »

It is indeed not much of a problem to skip 237, I did it too the first time I folded the dragon.

About the paper. There's an origami shop called Ori-Expres in Reussel, which is close to Tilburg. They ship their paper throughout the Netherlands, but I visited the store when I was visiting family in Tilburg. (I live in Groningen, and in Zwolle during the weekends)

The 35x35 paper was the biggest paper they had though. And I bought the last package :). I think they're more oriented towards paper for simpler and modular models then for the complex ones though.

If you're looking for paper. I just made kamiya's wizard from baking paper (the brown stuff) and it turned out great! So maybe you can use it for the dragon as well. I've also bought a big roll of "zeer doorschijnend patroonpapier" at V&D (thin pattern paper) of 1m x a lot, but I haven't tried folding with it yet. It looks promising though.