Robert J. Lang - Dancing Crane

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
TheUnChosenOne

Re: Robert J. Lang - Dancing Crane

Post by TheUnChosenOne »

My cousin has a few in his room and I was studying them. Turns out he just smushed the legs together. #-o And Baltorigamist, it would help if you could explain that better (no offense) because I have no idea what that means. :cry:

We need pictures!! [-o<
"No problem is so big or complicated that it can't be run away from."
--Charles Schulz
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

clopper wrote:Please if there is anyone that can make a diagram of this.
Robert Lang did it.
TheUnChosenOne wrote:it would help if you could explain that better
There's really not much more I can say. You know how to closed sink the tip of a Waterbomb Base, right? It's just like that, except the one side is open.
But I know something simple that's basically the same maneuver:

Get a rectangle about 1:3 proportions and fold it in half longways with the folded edge on top.
Fold one of the top corners down along the bottom edge (a bisector).
Crease the structure in half again (longways as well), and closed sink the long edge. For a schematic of sorts:

//i\ < Something like that.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
cowburger13

Post by cowburger13 »

Is there some hidden trickery in the diagram? this model looks rather easy.....
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

The trouble seems to be with the closed sinks in the legs. I haven't folded it yet, but they do seem to be fairly straightforward.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
cowburger13

Post by cowburger13 »

I agree.... I don't understand why people would have trouble with it. Maybe the diagram confuses them or something :/
Raptorex55

Post by Raptorex55 »

After reading here I decided to give this one another go-around. I took some pictures but I think all they can tell is what you already know. The closed sinks are indeed difficult, but as soon as you know why the sink is closed it all becomes a matter of actually folding it. There are some easier, though less... accurate, ways to fold the legs.

Closed sinks:
During the first sink it is important that notice how one "extra" layer is placed beneath the other. This makes the sink closed. Most likely when you try to push the layers through it will come undone. This is not a problem if you know how layers should be arranged and can put it back into place. (From where your flap is now) After the second sink the "extra" layer is locked and should not come undone.
Be sure you note the position of the "extra" layers before folding the next flaps. The first sink in the next flap must be folded over the rest of your pleated layers. (One side of the flap lies on top of the pleats, and then leads into the new gusset) Each increasing flap gets folded over the previous pleats.

Alternate folding method:
A little experimentation yielded a different way to fold the legs. On step 31 instead of sinking, I simply reverse folded through all of the layers. This locked up layers which made the toes hard to fold, but not impossible. I was forced to reverse a few of the folds in order to perform the elias stretch in the toes, but with a little internal smooshing this method worked! After it was shaped, You couldn't tell a difference between the two legs. (In fact the only difference was that the reverse folded leg lacked the nasty pleats on the outside of legs, which, in my opinion, was an improvement)

I hope some of this was helpful! Let me know what is unclear.

P.S If pictures are still wanted I will post them.
TheUnChosenOne

Post by TheUnChosenOne »

Pictures will be greatly appreciated!
--Charles Schulz
georgelkh

Post by georgelkh »

Here is the finished appearance of the legs after a series of closed sink in step 31 to 36.

Hope it helps.
georgelkh

Post by georgelkh »

It is the final dancing crane.

Thanks,
George
TheUnChosenOne

Post by TheUnChosenOne »

Nice fold! I think Lang made the wings too short though. Or maybe the legs to long. Or both.
--Charles Schulz
Raptorex55

Post by Raptorex55 »

Photos are on my flickr account. There are a lot of them so I'm not going to embed them all individually. Please read my above explanation of the steps as well. Ask any questions you may have here or on flickr. I hope they can help some of you out. :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74289763@N03/

Best of Luck to all of you.
yohohohowo

Post by yohohohowo »

The model is pretty straightforward. The closed sinks on the legs are tricky, but not as hard as everyone makes it out to be.

I have a question regarding the final step. It says narrow the legs, but doesn't say which method to use. Do I mountain fold through all layers, or individual layers or do I sink or reverse fold. In ODS2 he uses the same arrow that is also used for reverse folds, open sinks, closed sinks, and the arrow comes from both sides.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

My guess, yohohohowo, is to make several models and test each method for folding the legs. I often stray from the instructions for details anyways, and develop my own flavour of the model.
Moseph

Post by Moseph »

I keep messing it up every time I try the legs, would anyone be willing to make a video?