Robert J. Lang - Black Forest Cuckoo Clock

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
RonnnL

Robert J. Lang - Black Forest Cuckoo Clock

Post by RonnnL »

I'm trying this model from 'origami design secrets' and am stuck at the creation of the clock hands, at step 71.

If I understood step 69 correctly, meaning folding the two layers symmetrically under the flap, and subsequently squashing in step 70, then I don't end up with the model shown in step 71: The kite-like point on top shows a a gap in the middle in the diagram but that gap does not exist in my model. Without that gap, i'm unable to wrap the layers round the point to get the color-side showing.

Any idea what I might have misunderstood?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Are you sure you've done steps 64, 65 and 68 correct?
If you don't succeed I can make some pictures later on this day.
RonnnL

Post by RonnnL »

I'll try again later today. Some questions about the mentioned steps:

On 64: 'pleat the layer to match' is confusing for me.There seems only one way to pleat the paper so that step 65 is easy to perform though...

On 65: Is this a simple movement of paper or is it a more difficult step?

On 67: Is the vertical line in the middle of the top-right section in the diagram a crease line or does it denote a separation of layers? If it is a separation of layers, I might have misunderstood step 65...
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Step 65 is a closed sink of flap A, the front flap slides back to the middle while doing so. My guess is that you made something wrong on this step.
I made a little video but need to resize and upload it. Well and I need to excuse for my sloppy folding beforehand. I hope that it will be clear enough non the less, it is always so hard to see what you do when looking through your camera. Especially on step 68 I couldn't see the crease lines, just make it as shown in the book.

Here is the video, it features steps 50-60:
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jNYLaieqGx8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed>
RonnnL

Post by RonnnL »

Great video, thanks for the effort! I will try the sequence later this weekend. I'll let you know how things worked out.
RonnnL

Post by RonnnL »

Thanks again, the instruction was really helpful. Indeed, I made a mistake in step 65.

Unfortunately, the rest of the model caused me some trouble. I have some problems with the box-folding steps 114 to 117. And because of my choice of paper, which turned out to be too thick, the already finished parts of the model are not as nice as I wanted them to be.

But, even if I fail to complete the model, this has been a nice exercise, especially in making closed-sinks. Can't remember having made those before in other models... I haven't tried that many complex models yet, and might have been over-ambitious with this one.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

There's a photo guide for steps 114-117 on our Origami Austria homepage :D
http://www.origamiaustria.at/articles_c ... php?lang=2
RonnnL

Post by RonnnL »

Thanks Anna. Nice review of your clock-making session!

I seem to have chosen a similar type of paper: Somewhat thicker-than-normal wrapping paper with small lines on the back over the length of the paper. Is that type of paper called 'Kraftpaper'? In the shop where I bought it, it was sold as paper to cover schoolbooks with.

(For Dutch people interested: Can be bought at HEMA - look for 'extra sterk kaftpapier')

Is this generally a good choice of paper? Could be a bit too thick when I want to try insects, for example.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

For the cuckoo clock foilpaper would probably be a better choice, but to try things for a first time kraftpaper often works well.
Kraftpaper comes in very different qualities and thicknesses. For insects something thinner works better like for example 40gsm (I'm guessing the paper you use has around 80gsm like usual printer paper).
jojotoar

Post by jojotoar »

Can someone help me on step 35??
It's very confusing..
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Step 35 is pretty similar to what you've been doing so far with the boxpleating part. First, mountain fold the top part of the model down. Then, you'll notice that it looks very similar to step 29. The only difference is that the squashed corner is not at the same location (the model ends up locked at this part.) Hope this helps. If my explanation is more confusing than step 35, I'll be glad to clarify it more.
jojotoar

Post by jojotoar »

Thanks Sunburst!
But now I'm stuck at step 86
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

Hi, i was wondering what is the ratio of the size of paper to the finished model?

Thanks in advance! :D
4sigma

Post by 4sigma »

The width of the finished model is about 1/2 the width of the original rectangle. So for example if the original rectangle is 10 feet X 1 foot, the finished model will be about 1/2 foot wide.
Tissue foil -- the best thing since sliced bread.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

4sigma wrote:The width of the finished model is about 1/2 the width of the original rectangle. So for example if the original rectangle is 10 feet X 1 foot, the finished model will be about 1/2 foot wide.
Do you know the ratio of the length as well?

Thanks in advance! :D