Ronald Koh - Black Rhino

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Raith

Ronald Koh - Black Rhino

Post by Raith »

Ji guys, I'm new here since I've been searching around the net, I am trying to fold this: http://www.geocities.com/ronigami/RonOr ... oceros.pdf

I've been following the diagram for some time now. I am VERY newbie at Origami, best thing I've made was a crane, it just hits me, i guess the CP is very basic in it. i am right now, very very stuck at number 6 and up. I did it up to 15 but it went allll wrong.

#5-6: turn over, I did that. I cant really explain it because it's wreaking havok in my head. I really really want to accomplish this, can someone explain it to me in further details on what the diagrams are explaining? thanks a lot all(in advance!)

Raith
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but if you're having problems after step 6, you need to work your way through some easier diagrams first. The model you have chosen only gets harder as you go along.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Maybe you should first study the basics of Origami before trying to fold such complex things like this Rhinoceros.
A step by step guide can be found here:
http://www.fishgoth.com/origami/basics1.html
Friet

Post by Friet »

Joseph Wu wrote:Probably not the answer you want to hear, but if you're having problems after step 6, you need to work your way through some easier diagrams first. The model you have chosen only gets harder as you go along.
Yeah, and especially since it's a typical Ronald Koh diagram. He tends to start with a lot of easy folds, then somewhere halfway he turns the entire model inside out, just look at step 26 :)
Raith

Post by Raith »

yeah guys, if it was person to person i am SURE i can do it!! but thanks though. :) ill work on easier ones. doh!
Raith

Post by Raith »

okay, im stubborn but ive been reviewing the other site corresponding with the rhino one. is this supposed to be number 11 / 12?

pics:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/h ... 130001.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/h ... 130002.jpg[/img]
Friet

Post by Friet »

Yeah it's the result of step 11.
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

It's hard to tell just from the photographs, but that looks wrong.

The triangle that you fold down in step 4 is supposed to be on the outside of the model at this stage. It looks as if you've folded the paper in half the wrong way in step 7.

Then steps 8 through 11 (the squash and the petal fold) are performed on the area where the step 4 triangle is. Judging by the two separate small points visible on the upper photo it looks as if you've performed a rabbit ear on each of the corners instead.

Using paper that's coloured differently on each side might help. But I have to agree with the others in that you should try folding something less complex first.
Raith

Post by Raith »

can you create that part and take a picture of it? its hard to decipher something and not be able to visualize it thoroughly. thanks.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Raith, your best bet is to find an origami group, or another folder in your vicinity. Try searching on the net, or asking around in the forum.

In any case, just don't give up! :D
Raith

Post by Raith »

thanks wolf!! *hugs* :)
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

can someone care to redirect the link above? or pm me the .pdf file? I want to try on this. ty.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Both links are working, where is the problem?
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

my mistake, sorry. It looks cool, I should try it out someday.
mleonard

Post by mleonard »

If I'm not mistaken, the rhinoceros uses the same base as John Montroll's fox (as well as Dan Robinson's wolf, my own wolf, and probably lots more models). There are much easier ways of folding this base than shown in Ronald's diagrams - in particular step 26 is unnecessarily difficult, while steps 32 to 38 can be done as a single step!

If you can get hold of John Montroll's book Animal Origami for the Enthusiast, and have a go at the fox, you should find the diagrams much easier to follow. Then you should be able to tackle the rhinoceros with much less difficulty.