Satoshi Kamiya - Lyrebird

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
andssl

Kamiya's Lyrebird

Post by andssl »

The diagrams are in the new number of Origami Tanteidan Magazine (nº 117) :D
pharmjod

Post by pharmjod »

Hello everyone! This is my first time asking for specific help in a model, so please bear with me.

I have been working on this model now for a couple of days. I get to step 58 just fine but I'm not fully sure I understand what is going on in step 59 and 60. I skipped ahead just to see how the model finished up and it appeared to me that this step was important in completing steps 88 - 92 as well.

Finally, I am a little confused as to how the tail is finished. I get what is being done up to 107, but I'm somewhat confused how to proceed to form the pleats / tessellation for the tail.

Any suggestions or guidance on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jody
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

I'm just in the progress of folding this model.

Here is how I think steps 59-60 (which is actually only one step) have to be done.

You have to separate the top layers from other layers and push them upwards.

I will try to help with step 107 as soon as I get there.

Edit: You are right, this step is necessary to be able to form the wings in steps 88-92.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
pharmjod

Post by pharmjod »

Thank you Gerwin. That does look like what the intended step should be, but I'll have to try folding it again with different paper soon. I used some 13" Kami paper and it gets too thick for me around all of those open sinks there. I like this model so far, and apart from all the open sinks, it has a relatively enjoyable folding sequence for me as well (so far at least since I haven't really attempted the tessellation on the tail yet).

Jody
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Ok, I've finished the model.
Here a short explanation for making the tail corrugation.

The tail of the lyrebird is basically constructed out of loads of reverse folds. The diagrams tell you to make one reverse fold using all layers, and then open out the layers one by one and collapse again to form a series of reverse folds. You continue doing those series of reverse folds until you reach the end of the tail. It is not important to do it the way as shown in the diagrams as long as you end up with a series of reverse folds in each row.

And here's my finished lyrebird.
Gerwin
Kijjakarn

Post by Kijjakarn »

Nice Lyrebird, Daydreamer. I think I'm gonna buy the magazine soon.

PS. 2 years on the forum!
pharmjod

Post by pharmjod »

Thank you sir. We'll see if that is enough to pull me through it. I'll try to post something if I get the model finished. I'll have to try with different paper though. What did you use btw?

Jody
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

I've used double-tissue paper because this model definitely needs thin paper with all the layers coming together. In retrospect some kind of foil paper might have been better for doing the shaping of the tail feathers in the end.
Gerwin
insaneorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by insaneorigami »

The tail feathers at the end definitely look a bit funky, but apart from that, very cleanly folded, and nicely done!
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

Wooohoohooo!!!

Finally, my Tanteidan issue has arrived!

Lyrebird time!
I also do card models -- http://cutfoldpaste.blogspot.com
WhisperPuffin

Post by WhisperPuffin »

Anyone got paper suggestions for this?
Bibbleyboopalah!

A Whisper of Puffins (my Flickr)
satoshifan

Re: Satoshi Kamiya - Lyrebird

Post by satoshifan »

try it from 30 cm. parchment paper. its not a good color, but it's very thin and holds creases very well, which will be useful in the 24 open sinks.

Satoshifan
"You have not failed. You have simply found one thousand things that don't work. Therefore, you are one thousand things closer to finding something that will"
~Thomas Edison
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

Hello! I'm trying to fold the lyrebird from "works of satoshi kamiya 2" and got stuck on steps 45-48. If anyone can help me forward it would be much appreciated.
dunno any easy way of putting this.

45 should fall on preexisting creases. 46-8 involves opening out the flap. if all else fails with any collapse, make sure your mountains are mountains and your valleys are valleys.

after this is where it gets hard hard, lol.
decafmartin

Post by decafmartin »

Hello!
Though I'm making some progress and learning to fold better, I'm yet again stuck on the lyrebird. I've taken a sequence of pictures to demonstrate my current difficulties, if anyone has had a similar experience and can explain a solution (or what I've done wrong) I'd be in gratitude.

Step 79:

I fold this part up, creating the valley fold described...

But these layers that I previously sunk in step 52 follow the flap...

Making the final result look nothing like the crease pattern in step 80 (cant flatten the layers without destroying my previous sink):

Any suggestions are appreciated!
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

keep the flap on the left together. you seem to be pulling them apart. spread squash where you have the arrow. don't worry if it's not neat.