Satoshi Kamiya - Ryu Zin (CP)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Re: Satoshi Kamiya - Ryu Zin (CP)

Post by Swapnil Das »

That's cause the 'fake' cp uses 2.1 tail instead of 3.5 tail.
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
l0lm4tt

Post by l0lm4tt »

Well I redid the tail but quite poorly. But it is just about recognisable as a Ryujin 3.5 tail. I guess there may be a fifth attempt soon. But I have finished collapsing the scales and will go about shaping them soon
Check out my flickr page
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

You have made some mistakes in your fold as well - you forgot to make the dorsal spines. Another part of the cp that you are using that is wrong - The tail (as Swapnil stated), the legs, the feet. I will not point out where the mistakes are exactly because I believe that if you want to fold the Ryujin 3.5, you need to buy the official cp.
P.S. I found these mistakes (in your cp) with the official cp beside me.
About to start start Ryujin (test-folding at the moment)
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
l0lm4tt

Post by l0lm4tt »

I havent made the dorsal spines yet. And I will get round to shaping/adjusting the feet soon. Even after 3 or 4 attempts I am still learning.
Check out my flickr page
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

Almost finished my Ryujin 2.1 Deluxe. Glueing together the sides at the moment. All I need to do then is make the bottom scales and tail. Photos coming soon (I lost my Flickr account's email and password so I need to make a new one to post photos).
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
l0lm4tt

Post by l0lm4tt »

Here is my finished Ryujin 3.5. It was fairly successful. I used 55gsm kraft paper at 120x120cm. The head was very difficult and paper paper wore out a bit. I tried the neck twist but it was a bit of a bodge job. I messed up the tail trying to refold it from the fake CP to the real CP. The scales themselves were very fiddly due to the small size of the model, so I could have done them better. But this is my best attempt so far. Next year I will make an even bigger model at 180x180cm. And yes I know the quality isn't very good, and yes those are rubber bands keepng the legs in place

Check out my flickr page
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

Head needs much more work, you should have done tesfolds of it. The tail also needs a lot more work. It's not even very hard to find the cp, it was posted on a page a while back, just search for it. legs also need some more work, I'd suggest putting a wire in them so they can stand and stay in place. If that doesn't fix it, then glue the box-pleating flaps that make up each leg together.
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
l0lm4tt

Post by l0lm4tt »

I did test folds for the head and legs for my previous attempt (3rd attempt) but I made them a bit too small, and the test fold for the head did not include the neck twist section. Next time I will make bigger test folds featuring the head, neck, legs and end tail. And the model itself will be much bigger. Hopefully by then I will be able to try to make sense of the steps that create the neck twist.
Check out my flickr page
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

I would suggest working on the head more, from this photo, it looks messy. Also for the neck twist, practice it while making the head base, so don't make the head (test fold) without scales, make it with them and try a neck twist. Update on my Ryujin 2.1 Deluxe - Closing up the body now and gluing the scales together, about to finish off dorsal spines, then I'll shape tail and glue scales around the body.
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

I have finished my Ryujin 2.1 Deluxe (My modification of Satoshi Kamiya's Ryujin 2.1)
Head Detail
I messed up the dorsal spines and some scales but I'm happy with how it turned out.
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
malifold

Post by malifold »

A quick note to everyone who has floppy legs: use WIRE. Like the back.
mr.origami

Post by mr.origami »

Does anyone know where to get 6ft x 6ft kraft?
mikaorigami

Post by mikaorigami »

I have never found that big rolls of kraft. What worked for me was buying a couple of rolls that were 1 meter wide. I cut them and taped with masking tape which worked perfectly. My 3.5 was made from 2 pieces of 1x1 meter+1 rectangle of 1x2 meters(due to me being stupid mid process). This made it so that there were masking tape passing certain scales on the inside of the paper. I thought this would be a problem but even that worked out smoothly.

If you cut 2 rectangles of 1x2 meters you wont have any problems with the tape since there are only pleats where the tape goes.
l0lm4tt

Post by l0lm4tt »

I have a roll of 90cm x 100m kraft paperr at 55gsm. I can easily fold two rectangles of 90x180cm kraft paper seperately and then tape the two sections of pleat folds together afterwards
Check out my flickr page
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

origami-shop.com used to have a really large size of kraft paper, but it looks like they no longer carry it. Maybe ask Nicolas Terry where he got it?