Satoshi Kamiya - Ryu Zin (CP)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Dj origami

Re: Satoshi Kamiya - Ryu Zin (CP)

Post by Dj origami »

Yeah it looks quite good! I think you should have put thicker wire to make a bit better pose and if you have just bend it a bit more.
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

Good job Carsen =D>! What size paper did you use?
About to start start Ryujin (test-folding at the moment)
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

is it possible to fold the Ryu Zin 1.2 cp with 15cm kami?
Last edited by OrigamiGeek on July 15th, 2014, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
Kafar
Forum Sensei

Post by Kafar »

OrigamiGeek wrote:Who thinks I can fold the Ryu Zin 1.2 cp with 15cm kami with out tweesers?
Who thinks this kind of posts are unnecessary ?
Dj origami

Post by Dj origami »

Agree... Everything is possible. When I'm not sure if something is possible from some paper size I do some basic math and find out how big the unit is going to be, once I know that I can see if I'm capable of folding it from that size or not.
Carsen

Post by Carsen »

The wire I used was actually a coat hanger that I stretched out and cut, so the wire is plenty thick. I spent an entire day trying to find the right shape because the paper didn't want to curve with the wire. If you look at the body right before the neck, you can see that the belly is sideways. It was the only way I could get it to bend. I settled for this position and have grown to like it.

I shaped it by bending the wire to the position I wanted it. Then I gradually put the paper around it, starting from the tail and working up to the head, using clips to keep it in place. Once I got all of it around the wire, I mc'd all of it. Is that the right way to do it? I thought you could also put the wire in and glue it, then bend and curve it. I thought the other way was safer, so that's why I chose that.

The paper was a 6x6 ft square, separated into two 3x6 ft rectangles. I used Kraft paper.
Dj origami

Post by Dj origami »

I'm doing it the second way, I first put the wire in the last pocket(look at picture below) and put there some MC and close that part, after that I just glue the whole model and then I bend the model to get it into right pose and after that I shape the head and the legs.
Image8058956933_6b6f18e2f9_z by DJorigami, on Flickr
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

My way was different which was stupid. I first connected the two parts and glued all the layers except one layer. Then I put the wire INSIDE the body which I later realized was really dumb because I had to work my way through the paper and almost ripped it. Well, the paper in the head did rip a bit...

That was a very bad fold. Probably one of the worst. I found some nice thinner Kraft paper and I'll give it a try again with that paper.
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

Can someone help me make the Ryujin 3.5's tail? (something like a cp, photo-diagrams, diagrams, video et cetera) I am (probably) getting WOSCO in a few months for my birthday but it would help if I could get some advice now. I am planning on folding a 2.1 with a 3.5's: head, tail, dorsal spines, and maybe shaped scales. The Head is easy, very similar to a 2.1's head but with a graft on the outside. The tail I am unsure about. The Dorsal spines are part of the scales (which go 15 units to the top of the higher up transition units) and I am reasonable at shaping scales and constantly practising.
Thanks,

Orson
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

origamifan11 wrote:Can someone help me make the Ryujin 3.5's tail? (something like a cp, photo-diagrams, diagrams, video et cetera) I am (probably) getting WOSCO in a few months for my birthday but it would help if I could get some advice now. I am planning on folding a 2.1 with a 3.5's: head, tail, dorsal spines, and maybe shaped scales. The Head is easy, very similar to a 2.1's head but with a graft on the outside. The tail I am unsure about. The Dorsal spines are part of the scales (which go 15 units to the top of the higher up transition units) and I am reasonable at shaping scales and constantly practising.
Thanks,

Orson
I'll see if I can make a tutorial. It'll be extremely hard to do, but I'll do my best if I can make a tutorial...
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

Never mind, I figured it out. I'll post pictures soon after I re-fold because it turned out quite messy.
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
OrigamiFox

Post by OrigamiFox »

This is still way way beyond my reach right now.... I'm really amazed to see so many people actually being able to make it! The Ancient Dragon was already very challenging for me.
mr.origami

Post by mr.origami »

Hi, i'm just wondering whether i should treat my tracing paper with mc for ryu jin 2.1 or leave it untreated. i have a huge 50 yard roll, so i'm not worried about mistakes.
Jonybb

Post by Jonybb »

mr.origami wrote:Hi, i'm just wondering whether i should treat my tracing paper with mc for ryu jin 2.1 or leave it untreated. i have a huge 50 yard roll, so i'm not worried about mistakes.
If it doesn't make your paper wrinkly then it's not a bad idea, but there's nothing wrong about using plain tracing paper to fold the base, and then using mc for shaping :)
mr.origami

Post by mr.origami »

thanks, i think ill treat a small square then use it to test fold the head base.