Nguyen Hung Cuong - Eagle

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

Paulius, that is both amazingly cute and TINY! what size starting sheet did you use?

And Sara, what size for your excellent red one?
PauliusOrigami
Forum Sensei

Post by PauliusOrigami »

I used 28 cm (about 11 in) paper.
My flickr gallery. Come to visit and leave feedback.
Sara

Post by Sara »

FrumiousBandersnatch wrote:And Sara, what size for your excellent red one?
I folded it form a 48cm square of double tissue (approx. 19 inches).

-- Sara
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

excellent! thank you both!
juanperico

Post by juanperico »

may someone help me with the wings?¿

i can´t understand some steps of the diagram, from 154 to 159,i tried it hard,but now the paper is about to tear,and i would like to finish the model

thank you
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

i don't know what to tell you, other than the formation of the wings is a series of valley folding the pleats and squash folding them, and then flattening the entire thing. if you're using a foil of some kind that you didn't make yourself, some flaking alone the spine of the pleats is inevitable but won't tear. if you're at this point of the model, if you do happen to tear it, i would tape it up and keep going. no point in throwing away all that work.
juanperico

Post by juanperico »

bethnor wrote:i don't know what to tell you, other than the formation of the wings is a series of valley folding the pleats and squash folding them, and then flattening the entire thing. if you're using a foil of some kind that you didn't make yourself, some flaking alone the spine of the pleats is inevitable but won't tear. if you're at this point of the model, if you do happen to tear it, i would tape it up and keep going. no point in throwing away all that work.
maybe the key is on the squash folds.

i didnt understand the step as a squash fold,so im going to try with this

thank you so much,bethnor
dargelirli

Post by dargelirli »

hi. i need your help for step 154-156
hXns

Post by hXns »

hi,
i'm trying to fold this eagle, but i'm stuck at step 85..
could any1 help me? it's something to unsink, but i don't get it, and when I try to fold on, it doesnt seem to be right..so the step, 85, looks very important..

thanks in advance,
HansM
I'm a noob, and i'm proud of it :D
My growing Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hansmp/
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

yes, step 85 is an unsink.

the problem usually comes in step 84, you redistributed the layer you need to unsink to the top.
hXns

Post by hXns »

So, I finally did it =) my first fold of the Eagle =)

and thanks for helping me out, bethnor =)
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

congratulations. try a larger sheet next time, though, so you can do some of the finishing details.

i've heard of people doing it with smaller, but even with a 50 cm sheet, the pleats of the tail are really small.
hXns

Post by hXns »

yea, i know, i did it with 44x44 cm sheet =)
Krikke

Post by Krikke »

Hi everybody,

I'm also trying to fold this magnificent eagle by Nguyen. However, i'm stuck at step 71, on the second collapse. I have the same problem as fredericoh, which he mentioned on the first page of this topic, so i'm re-using his picture.

What do i need to do with the two flaps i've indicated on the image? Do i just need to fold them to one side? I can't seem to flatten the model correctly. These are the flaps as seen sidewards from my own folding.

I tried to fold the flaps to the right in a sort of zig-zag manner, which gaves me something as seen on the next figure. Is this the solution?

Many thanks in advance!
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

no.

this collapse is probably the hardest part of the model, and all i can really suggest is to follow exactly what folds are valleys and which are mountains. you'll want to bring either side of the flaps together in book fold fashion, and this will let everything lie flat. the portion shown by the bottom arrow will essentially be inside the flap indicated by the top arrow.

as i said before, the most confusing part is that the portion where the lower arrow is in the first photo should NOT be squash-folded; it remains a reverse fold in the final collapse (i.e., it is asymmetric, which is somewhat counter-intuitive in most origami).