Help finding a sliding star diagram?

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Pargon

Help finding a sliding star diagram?

Post by Pargon »

Hi there, I'm new here but have been folding for ages. Unfortunately I took a couple years break from playing with paper (college, too busy, I'm sure you understand). So now I'm getting back into folding and I stumbled upon this community. Seems like everyone's nice to each other and knowledgeable so I think I'll stay a while if that's okay :) .

So the reason why I made this post is that a long time ago a friend of mine showed me how to fold a star that I've never been able to actually find a diagram of. And in my origami downtime I've sadly forgotten how to make it. It's composed of about 6-7 identical pieces (can't remember the number exactly), starting from squares. there are some simple folds and then these pieces lock together into a flat octagonal ring. I seem to remember each small piece locks into another via two little prongs if that helps identify it :? . So what really interested me about this piece was that when completed, the ring slid in on itself and became a cool starlike shape.

I hope someone out there recognizes what I'm talking about and can either link me to a diagram or just explain the simple folds involved. I assume that it's not copyrighted cuz it's so simple, but if it is, could you give me a book title? Thanks a bunch!

If it helps, I could use my very limited skills in mspaint to draw what it looks like :?
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Robert Neale's Magic Star. It's found in quite a few books, just search on the Origami Database for "magic star".

There's also ascii instructions on the net:
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=612786
bshuval

Post by bshuval »

Drawn diagrams appear here:
http://math.serenevy.net/Origami/Magic.pdf
Pargon

Post by Pargon »

wow, thanks both of you! You have no idea how long I scoured the depths of the internet looking for this. You know how many modual stars there are? yeesh!

Seriously, you both are going on my list of my favorite people.