Crane egg instructions?

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
ilithiya

Crane egg instructions?

Post by ilithiya »

I have some strips that I suspect may actually be for crane eggs; when I use them for lucky stars, they end up being almost ridiculously huge (about .75" across after puffing).

So... I was wondering if anyone out there can point me towards some sort of instructions or diagrams for making the crane eggs. Thanks!

Illy
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

How can I imagine these crane eggs? An egg with a crane inside, visible when opened up or visible all the time through some holes?
What sizes are your stripes exactly?
elf

Post by elf »

(image removed by poster)

They end up as six-sided solid geometric forms, called a hexahedron (I think). Anyway, they're not too difficult (kind of addictive, really). I make them from strips of copy paper, and it doesn't seem to matter too much about width (I've used 1/4" up to 1 1/2"). Length is determined by the width; I just kind of "go with it" when I'm folding, and cut off the extra length to avoid them getting too bulky and out-of-shape.

A long time ago, there was a site on the web with the instructions; albeit in Korean (I think). This same site had a really neat rose, too--only in video, but easily memorized. The site was changed a while back, and I haven't found it again. I think it was connected with Jong Ie Nara somehow...

The only diagrams I have are in a picture for a package of Crane Egg Paper; if someone can help me insert a .jpg picture, I'll try to get them to you. They're not great, though they do show the basic folding method. The big thing to remember is once you finish the basic folds, you then open the entire strip up and re-fold it, rolling it into the 3-d shape.

Gosh, I hope someone else has a better description of this...
Last edited by elf on October 4th, 2005, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

elf wrote:if someone can help me insert a .jpg picture, I'll try to get them to you.
Upload it using ImageShack. Once you´ve uploaded it you get a lot of links pointing towards the picture. Copy and paste the first long link (hotlink for forums) onto your posting. Done!
elf

Post by elf »

Oaky--I hope this works...

(image removed by poster)

Remember, this is not a great picture, but if you look closely, you can see the basic folding technique. After you fold the whole strip, unfold the whole thing then re-fold it into the 3-d shape (hint: when you start to re-fold it, the first section of the bottom edge lines up directly on the third vertical fold--hopefully, that will make sense when you get folding).

P.S. Thank you, Anna! You made it very easy (considering it only took me two tries to copy the link, I'd say you are a terrific teacher).
Last edited by elf on October 4th, 2005, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Nearly. Use the hotlink for Forums (it´s the fourth link in total and the first link after the large text in the middle).

To copy the link, click at it first with the left, then with the right mouse button, an dialogue opens, choose "copy" (with the left mouse button).
Now click first left then right onto your text where you want to insert the picture and choose "paste". That´s it.

The picture is really very small. It´s very hard to detect anything on it :(
Last edited by origami_8 on October 4th, 2005, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elf

Post by elf »

I apologize for the size--I didn't realize how tiny it would be.

I have hard copies of the original Korean site (I printed them out a long time ago). I'll try to get them scanned onto a disk so I can try uploading again...

Until tomorrow (I hope),

elf
elf

Post by elf »

Okay; here we go (again). I had a friend scan the hard copies for me, and I think I have them large enough (I hope).

(copyrighted images removed by poster)

I hope this works okay for you--I think I did it right this time (thanks again, Anna).
Last edited by elf on October 4th, 2005, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Yes, now it is good visible :D
Thank you!
elf

Post by elf »

You're welcome!

I've used some very wide strips (up to 2" or so), and made some very large eggs as well as using 1/8" paper for some very tiny ones. As I said, it can be kind of addicting--like the lucky stars.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Uh...since there is a copyright notice on those scanned diagrams, isn't posting this here a violation of the "no copyrighted materials" rule of this forum? (Not to mention a violation of copyright law?)
elf

Post by elf »

Oops! I never noticed, and since I originally downloaded them the website has been moved (I think; I don't know Korean) so I couldn't just give you the URL.

Thank you, Mr. Wu--I apologize to everyone for my error. I have removed the images from the posting.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Okay...now about the other rule: it's "Joseph" or "Joe", not "Mr. Wu". Thanks. :)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Joseph Wu wrote:Uh...since there is a copyright notice on those scanned diagrams, isn't posting this here a violation of the "no copyrighted materials" rule of this forum? (Not to mention a violation of copyright law?)
Sorry Joseph, I haven´t looked at them so closely. The only thing I noticed was that the diagrams are now good visible. I have to believe you that their was a copyright notice on them because I´m no longer able to check it up...

Oh and to the other rule:
Maybe you should write this rule as your signature, instead newbies will always call you Mr. Wu again :wink:
elf

Post by elf »

:oops:

Sorry about that, Mr.--I mean, Joseph! I'll try to remember...