Joseph Wu's Great White Shark

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
cobaka

Joseph Wu's Great White Shark

Post by cobaka »

Hi! My name is Liz. Just started folding origami a couple weeks ago but I'm picking it up pretty quick.

However, I find myself stuck. Stuck! I have been stuck on models before, but I have usually been able to figure it out in a few mintues. I can't for the life of me understand this one, though. I am on step 23 of Joseph Wu's shark diagram. you can find it here:

http://dev.origami.com/images_pdf/shark.pdf

I just don't understand! Inside reverse fold the innermost layer? I guess my major problem is that the corresponding illustration seems to be referring to a layer that is not the innermost layer. I have gone back and forth trying everything to get the model to look as it should according to the illustration for step 26, but nothing I do is working and my paper is becoming more and more delicate with every fold!

Which layer exactly is he referring to? Is it part of the dorsal fin, or a piece from the very middle, inside, which would be the innermost layer of the model? I think if i can figure out step 23 I'll be able to get step 24 as well, which also puzzles me greatly as I am unsure as to which layer he is talking about.

Help is greatly appreciated! I look upon origami diagrams as puzzles, and I cannot stand to let a puzzle go unsolved! Mr. Wu, you are driving me insane! With that said, I adore his models and I can't wait to finish this shark, it's probably the most elegant shark model I have come across so far.

Anyway, I'd really be in your debt if someone could clarify step 23 for me. Thank you! I eagerly await your replies!
topsu

Post by topsu »

Just open the model from the under side and you see a layer. It's very simple. The next step of wrapping around isn't as easy, you have to kind of perform an open sink to get the layer on the front go underthe layer that is under it on the right side. Hope this helps at least a bit ;)!

EDIT: reading your post again, yes it is the layer in the middle that you should be reverse folding.
cobaka

Post by cobaka »

oh my gosh, thank you! it took a good 15 minutes, but I finally got it. whew!
cardthrow18

Post by cardthrow18 »

I'm actually struggling with step 21 on the same model :? I've been at it for a while and I can't figure it out. Could anybody help? I can't work out how to get the dorsal fin by folding the lines shown in the instructions.
da9lflute

Post by da9lflute »

At step 21 I just keep messing with the indicated valley and mountain folds until it becomes more and more apparent how it's supposed to collapse.
franb123

Re: Joseph Wu's Great White Shark

Post by franb123 »

im actually stuck on step number 22 of this model:
"[Enlarged view.] Collapse the near and far sides against the body.]"
The reason I don't understand it is that the fold lines seem the be strange ones that haven't been pre-creased, and even when I try and follow the diagram it just ends up a big mess. Help would be massively appreciated! xx
the modern einstein

Post by the modern einstein »

It's basically forming half a preliminary fold on both sides of the model. It's almost a squash fold instead of a collapse. it also depends on if you folded the previous steo correctly. it helps when you use a bone folding tool to make the sharpest possible precreases. look at the diagram. you see the two horizontal creases on the two layers of paper. well they have to align, that's how i managed to get it working. it seems hard at first, but just keep trying new combinations of folds, keeping within the squash and collapse boundaries, and the alignment of those two horizontal creases. hope that helps. if you need pictures, I will supply.
the modern einstein

Post by the modern einstein »

I'm in the process of making a few videos now, will give heads up when on YouTube.
tryingtofoldsumthing

Post by tryingtofoldsumthing »

Is there any way to modify this model to give it a mouth? I unfolded all of the layers near the head, and am trying to arrange them to give it a suitible mouth, but i can't seem to do it. I was just wondering if it has been done, and if not, how it could be done.
Matt
If it's just mountain and valley folds, how hard could it be?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tryingtofoldsumthing/
wormsforbrains

Post by wormsforbrains »

Hey! I've been really enjoying this model so far, but I'm stuck on step 44 (inside reverse fold the two hidden corners). I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that :(. Which are the hidden corners, and how in the world can i inside reverse fold them? I can post a picture of what I have if that is useful. If anyone has any help on this it would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Is it possible you missed step 16? The point sunk there creates an edge between the two layers that are folded over one another in step 17. This edge (and its counterpart, which is formed when you repeat 13-17) are the two corners you need to reverse-fold.
Another way to look at it is that after step 44, the tail will resemble a stretched bird base folded in half.

I hope that helps. :)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr