Why isn't there...

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
sabrigami

Why isn't there...

Post by sabrigami »

I'm new at this so please help me :oops: . anyway, why isn't there a place where all crease pattern solutions are posted? I mean, people on this site ask for help on those things all the time, so why not make a web page where people help each other fold a crease pattern all the way through. You know, where all the solutions are in one place so the person who sees it can find the crease pattern you want are in one place and it has intsructions to fold it all the way through. I want to create such a place so people like me can at least try it (crease patterns are not my friends). I could use help on this, and I would like to start with Satoshi Kamiya's phoenix. Somewhere in the forum someone posted the solution for the tail (with pictures, thank you :D ) so let's put all these miny solutions together in one place so we can all try it. so tell me wht you think, and if you like let's try it. and after the phoenix lets do others too. so if you like this please help me out, :) thanks
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

There is a growing "database" of solutions at the Spanish CP mailing list:

http://es.groups.yahoo.com/group/Grupoorigamipatrones/

Under the file archives, you can find photos of intermediates, collapsed bases and reference guides for many of the popular CPs.
sabrigami

Post by sabrigami »

That is what I was talking about, but how do you acess that stuff on that site? and isn't there one in english?
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

You'll have to join the group before you get access to the files. And no, there's no list in English for now; however on the Spanish list, there's been a lot of effort lately to post both in Spanish and English, using Babelfish as an aid.
sabrigami

Post by sabrigami »

I did get acess to the content, but I actually didn't find it all that helpfull :( . Altough it does provide some good information it's very scatterd and I want to see diagrams for how to fold a crease pattern from start to finsh. maybe I should start my own site like that...or am I just missing that stuff on the site? all I want are diagrams on hold to fold certain crease patterns from start to finish.
sabrigami

Post by sabrigami »

I finally found that diagram for the phoenix tail I was talking about, it's http://snkhan.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=343. I'm talking about diagrams like that. I would really like to fold the phoenix among others, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm starting to think I'll never solve a crease pattern ](*,).
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

sabrigami wrote:I'm starting to think I'll never solve a crease pattern
Maybe you should try an easier one first. Wolf has a very good tutorial on how to start with cps on her website. After you´re gone through it it will be maybe a little bit easier to go on.
I would recommend a very easy one, but I don´t want to be lynched by Chris.
sabrigami

Post by sabrigami »

Thanks for the tip but I've actually seen it before, as well as the tutorials on creasepatterns.com. they are helpfull, and they did help me progress alittle, but I just don't know why there aren't full solutions out there for every body. So you don't have to be good at crease patterns. I know people love solving those things, but I like just folding the model, not figuring out how to do it. but that's all the really cool models have these days :( .
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Well, as recent unpleasantness on this forum has shown, some people don't want to have others diagram their models.
sabrigami

Post by sabrigami »

Thanks for your tips, by the way Mr. Wu, your origami is awsome :D . Especially your hippocampus.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

*LOL*
What have I said Mr. Wu.... :lol:
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Okay, okay. Are you happy now, Anna?
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

It´s not about me. It´s you that every third post declare that you don´t want to be called by your surname.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Yeah, I know...:P
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

sabrigami wrote: but I just don't know why there aren't full solutions out there for every body.
Well jeez, presumably because of the amount of time that it takes to fully diagram a model. Also, people often precrease a whole pattern and then collapse it all at once, without working out a standard folding sequence.

A few CPs have been diagrammed recently though. You're probably already aware of them if you're on the origami mailing list, but if not:

Carlos A. Furuti has diagrammed Noburu Miyajima's bat.

A member of the AEP has diagrammed a crab and a butterfly designed by two other Japanese creators. Link