Aladdin's lamp by Neal Elias

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Shanti

Post by Shanti »

Hello everyone
8)
In "Origami" by Robert Harbin there aren't many pictures and they skip steps. I started making this but got stuck in several places. I made it but it doesn't look like the picture. And the top of the lamp is tricky. On the picture its sloping but mine is straight. Does anyone know where to get a more detailed description of how to make it or has made this and can help me please?
:)
Thanks in advance
Shanti
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

No Guarantees, but I found my copy of Origami [1] by Harbin and Elias' Aladdin on pp. 168 - 172. Dave Venables is probably the expert.

I haven't folded this, but if you can post pictures of your progress, we might be able to walk you through this, slowly.

- Hank Simon
Shanti

Post by Shanti »

@}->--Thanks very much Hank Simon for replying and finding the instructions especially for me. The book I have is "Origami" by Robert Harbin. The publisher is Hodder & Stoughton. In this one its on pages 170-174. There aren't many pictures and they make several changes in each one. The one I made doesn't look like the one in the book and I cut the papers apart because I don't understand how to fold the part where they join.
:?
I have photos of the one's I've made but don't know how to attach them here. How to do it?
Shanti
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Pictures:

1, You have to upload the pictures to the Web, either your own Web site, or a free hosting site, such as flickr.

2. Then, when you post a message, include a link to your picture, to your flickr account, or use the [ Img ] ... [ / img ] tags to post the pictures.

- Hank Simon
Shanti

Post by Shanti »

Thank you Hank Simon. I've made a flickr account so I can put the photos here now. Photo 1 is my first attempt at the lamp. :? Not how it looks in the book :(
Photo 2 is my second attempt and how far I get without problems.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Congrats !

First, the genie looks OK, the hands are an inside reverse fold and the nose looks like a smaller inside reverse fold.

The Lamp looks very close, the Handle and the Spout look reasonable. But it looks like you've left out a few steps at the top. Just referring to the LAMP-

There are no Step numbers or references, so bear with me:
1. At the Step including "fold arms down" : Looks like you tuck the back flap behind the triangular point, and above the point.

2. "Crimp Genie Again" Step: Valley fold the two corners behind the triangular point ... leading to the large picture on the following page.

3. "fold into pocket" Step: Fold into pocket behind the triangular flap, which looks like what you did.

4. And also, Mountain fold the two corners inward, matching the sloping angle of the back flap ... and the final picture.

Maybe your diagrams don't have those Mountain folds in the front ???

Otherwise, it looks like you are very, very close.... plus, now you know how to post pictures when you're finished.... there's also a Topic called, what have you folded recently, to displayed finished models. (in addition to this topic... showing completion.)

- Hank Simon
Shanti

Post by Shanti »

Thank you Hank Simon :)

:? I'm still stuck on the join between the two papers. I don't know how to fold the bit where the genie is coming out of the lamp without cutting them apart. In the drawing the white paper is coming out of the darker paper but on mine its the other way around :(
I'd like to get it right (with your help :wink: ) before I display it.

Shanti
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I am guessing....

On the second page, the bottom picture: "Make White Stretched Bird Base" looks consistent with your picture... I think the white corner within the shaded bird base is straight, while the colored corner is folded.

In the previous step, When you Mountain fold the top and bottom, the shaded part on the bottom is supposed to be on the outside, accomplished by holding the circles. When I do this and pull out the stretched bird base, then the colored part remains on the outside.

On the next page, I am not sure how to "sink the corner into the genie" ... I see it as more like a reverse fold, allowing the genie to fold upward.

Play with it and see where you get, and maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

Sorry I couldn't be more precise,

- Hank Simon
Shanti

Post by Shanti »

Thank you Hank Simon for not giving up helping me
:cry: I still can't make mine look like the picture in the book without cutting the papers apart. :( Please take some photos of the steps to make the join between the genie and the lamp.
@}->--
Shanti
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I'm stuck, also. I can't do more than what is shown in the pictures. You'll have to try folding the sink in different ways, until something clicks.

- Hank Simon
Shanti

Post by Shanti »

Thank you Hank Simon :)
I'm still stuck on the join. :( If you get an idea please write.
Shanti
Myxtyplx

Genie and Aladdin's lamp.

Post by Myxtyplx »

Hello Shanti,
I don't think anyone who has folded this guy hasn't had problems at this step of sinking and uprighting the Genie into the lamp. I just revisited the fold after doing it many years ago. I think I was successful. I believe the directions should state "sink the Genie into the spout of the lamp". The way I did it was to hold the fold vertically with the Genie furthest from me. While grasping and spreading the joined section I forced the Genie into the center of the spout sinking it while uprighting the Genie. I also tried a fake dollar for practice before the real $ which cbviously needs more work. I had it pretty good but messed it up fooling around. Neal Elias didn't design it for dollar size but the shape was close so I tried it. Let me know if I helped and good luck.

ImageImage
"I Do Whatever My Rice Krispies Tell Me To".
Shanti

Post by Shanti »

:) Thank you for replying Myxtyplx
Did you make it using 2 separate pieces of paper or joined?
Shanti
Myxtyplx

Post by Myxtyplx »

They were joined in both models. Hope you make it ok.
"I Do Whatever My Rice Krispies Tell Me To".
Shanti

Post by Shanti »

:( Maybe I'm making the join wrong? Please post some photos of how you make it.
Shanti