Satoshi kamiya spinosaurus

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
bethnor
Buddha

Re: Satoshi kamiya spinosaurus

Post by bethnor »

i love kamiya. what i don't understand is when people act like he's all there is to origami. he's not. there is a spinosaurus which is nearly identical to his that is available right now for free. people should go fold it and discover someone other than kamiya. since they are so similar, doing so might help you figure out the cp for his.

along that vein, fold a friedman. or a grizzly man. or an early montroll. or a watanabe dai. or a katsuta kyohei. or a donya quick. or a quentin trollip. or a nguyen coung hung. or giang dinh. or a juston or a kareshi. there's more out there than can possibly be folded in a lifetime. kamiya is the only artist out of all those names that has regularly published. you are guaranteed to get a kamiya diagram about something sooner or later, so pining after his diagrams seems like a waste of space, especially in light of all the wonderful artists whose work you can admire here and on flickr who haven't even got one diagram published yet.
Last edited by bethnor on August 2nd, 2011, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

i think people act like that because they're new to origami and he's all they know.
other than that i agree with you- origami is not all about kamiya
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

The basic problem here may not be one of folding skill, or attractiveness of finished models, but rather one of prolificness of diagrams. Although he may not do books as regularly as, say, Montoll, Kamiya has a good, established record of diagramming his models, which is critical to far more folders than simply issuing a crease pattern is. Many (not all, certainly!) of the folders you listed, Bethnor, simply don't diagram many of their models; some don't even issue crease patterns for them, so they are forever out of reach; some may diagram occasionally but publish those diagrams in comparatively obscure, hard-to-obtain places (particularly for younger folders without a lot of money to spend on books published overseas). In the minds of many folders, that could well equate to pretending that those folders and their models just don't exist. Most people seem to think that Kamiya's established record of publishing diagrams for his models, even if after several years, justifies thinking that unpublished models will be published eventually, something that cannot be said for many other folders. Hence, there is anticipation (or anxiety) in waiting for something that is perceived as inevitable, whereas there is no anticipation for something that no one thinks is ever going to come anyway.

I'm not at all trying to say that any of this is justified, or justifiable; simply offering a hypothesis for why Kamiya's models are highly anticipated whereas those of others--even models that are just as clever, complex, pleasing, or whatever adjectives one might want to use here, as Kamiya's--are not. Nor am I in any way attempting to cast aspersions on folders that don't diagram their models (or, at least, not as regularly as Kamiya does); having diagrammed several models myself, I know how Herculean a task it is, and have several undiagrammed models of my own!
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Re:

Post by joshuaorigami »

Trouble wrote:I folded the base and took some pictures if anyone wants pm me
I'm a bit delayed but i wouldn't mind those pictures ;-)
euroboy

Post by euroboy »

orislater wrote:bethnor i dont get what you have against kamiya. i know most people who are new to origami really try to focus on kamiyas models and i get it because they are awesome. the designers you mentioned also have very nice spinosauruses but i think most people just dont really know about them and if they do they want to fold kamiyas because they like it better. your making satoshi kamiya models seem like a bad thing and they're not.
Well said orislater =D>
Kamiya is my origami idol! O:) I love all his creations O:)

I hope his Spinosaurus diagrams get publish in this year convention book [-o<
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

euroboy wrote:[
Well said orislater =D>

aren't you the one who said you wouldn't buy the tanteidan last year if it didn't have a kamiya :roll: ?

in that case, i hope the tanteidan publishes kato's spinosaurus, and not kamiya's :D.
euroboy

Post by euroboy »

bethnor wrote:
euroboy wrote:[
Well said orislater =D>

aren't you the one who said you wouldn't buy the tanteidan last year if it didn't have a kamiya :roll: ?

in that case, i hope the tanteidan publishes kato's spinosaurus, and not kamiya's :D.
It doesnt really matter ,,,,any other model from my idol would make me happy 8)
StefOmega

Post by StefOmega »

bethnor wrote:i guess i'll never understand. shuki kato's beautiful spinosaurus is available for free, and it's plain as day to my untrained eye that kamiya's, adam tran's, and kato's spinosauruses are all very similar in design. seems pointless to pine for kamiya's.
I know. I've redrawed his diagrams with Free Hand and gave him. I'm waiting for him to publish them. I'm asking Satoshi's ones only because it's a challenge with myself. That's all.
maxdanger

Post by maxdanger »

Satoshi Kamiya diagramed it and it is released in tanteidan convention book 17
euroboy

Post by euroboy »

Yay !!! \:D/
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

YAY
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
AK827

Post by AK827 »

Thats awesome! Now I can fold a good version of this, although it felt good to decipher the cp.
StefOmega

Post by StefOmega »

When will tanteidan convention book 17 be available?
Axel´s Origami

Post by Axel´s Origami »

StefOmega wrote:When will tanteidan convention book 17 be available?
They start selling it at the JOAS convention, so it will be avaiable after the 14th.
maxdanger

Post by maxdanger »

I just thought that I should let you know that the diagramed version is a little bit different to the origional. It has more spines on the back so it is longer, because of this the reference is in 17 not 16 and it is a little bit more hard to do some sinks on the spine. I think that it is better than the origional as it is more complex and looks realistic. It has 212 steps (not including repeats). And it is insanely complex!! have fun folding!!!