Brian Chan - Wolf Spider

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Nekomata

Brian Chan - Wolf Spider

Post by Nekomata »

Okay, I'm new here and this is probably a stupid question, but:

I've been trying to fold the wolf spider and I'm having issues with the crimp fold in step 18. (At least I think that's the problem; I get to step 40 or so and it looks wrong and this is the only place I can think of that was iffy.)

When I do the crimp I collapse the middle part on the folds made in steps 16 and 17. This gives me a smallish triangular flap, which according to the diagrams shouldn't exist. When I flip layers to the side to do the petal fold in step 22 I have this flap sticking up in the middle. Then if I ignore that and keep folding, the triangle flaps I should be sinking in step 40 are there (these are the same flaps) but they're larger than the ones in the diagram.

I'll try to take pictures later if I can find a camera. Thanks in advance.
tonyuk

Re: Brian Chan - Wolf Spider

Post by tonyuk »

Basically youve done the crimp wrong on step 18. I did it too on my first attempt, |I figured it was the crimp so i went back and reviewed it.
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

where are the diagrams?
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

tanteidan convention book 16.
there are still a few copies of 10, 11, 16, and 17 left at origami-shop.com!
buy while you can. i got 16, 17 and i am buying 10 and 11 once i get the money (maybe several months)
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
vernriley

Post by vernriley »

I am trying to fold this from the convention book diagrams as well and Iam stuck on the crimp on step 18.

Could someone post a picture of how it should look from the side looking at the crimp?

When I get to step 51 I cant fold the legs up as far as he does because there is paper that I would have to rip to get it to work that way.

Thanks in advance!
yohohohowo

Post by yohohohowo »

I'm having the same problem. It's something to do with the crimp in 18. I'm not sure what I did wrong though. I did a standard crimp and ended up with those flaps keeping the legs from going all the way up properly.
vernriley

Post by vernriley »

I periodically revisit models I had trouble with and gave up on temporarily. I hate to resurrect this topic but does anyone have some photos of the proper way to crimp step 18?
ArnelMachida

Post by ArnelMachida »

tonyuk wrote:Basically youve done the crimp wrong on step 18. I did it too on my first attempt, |I figured it was the crimp so i went back and reviewed it.
I though it is correct?
The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars. - William Westmoreland military knives
leung_wwy

Post by leung_wwy »

I think I have the crimp wrong too, since I am stuck on steps 31-34.

Going back to the crimp part, if you open the top up, should it be a rectangle, or a hexagon?

Here are my pics, please tell me if I am wrong.

mixmastermarc16

Post by mixmastermarc16 »

......if you did everything correctly......when you open the top of the model it shoudl be a rectangle.....and definitely not a hexagon.......that initial crimp is confusing.......at one point i had to basically pull the model apart and put the layers in their right place.......but once you get it.....youll get it...........
vernriley

Post by vernriley »

Can no one post a picture of the crimp done correctly? tired of wasting paper and time on this.

Thanks
leung_wwy

Post by leung_wwy »

Actually I think I did it correctly in the pictures I posted. The hexagon is correct at the start - because the extra bits (the 2 side triangles) from the hexagon will be 'open-sinked' into the body at step 41.

The reason I am now certain is because today I picked up that semi-crumpled piece of paper, did it again, and finished the model. Well sort-of finished - the paper was so worked on and tired that I couldn't be bothered doing the shaping towards the end because it's just a practice piece.

But I definitely have a spide with 8 legs. What I didn't like however, are step 48-49, which resulted in left and right (front and back) legs with uneven thickness. (the middle legs are ok). However these steps were necessary to get the legs in the right places.

So, for me, it's a puzzle solved. personally, I thought the folding sequence was a bit boring though, so I might not do it again.
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Sorry for bumping the thread, but when I was doing step 51, some paper are trapped in the inside and I cannot lift the legs up. Can anyone help?
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

im having the same problem with step 18 and getting that hexigon and then canot do the next steps as it dosnt sit right and nothings like it shows in the next diagrams. If anyone can post a pic of that step done correctly so can also move on with this model i would very much apreciate it.

Kind regards & happy folding
Steve 8)
Take a look at my flicker if you wish...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34942570@N05/