Black Forest Cuckoo clock

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
thut

Black Forest Cuckoo clock

Post by thut »

I have decided to attempt Robert Langs clock from ODS and was wondering how big the clock will be when using X size paper.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Take a look at the CP of the clock; this should allow you to calculate its final size.

A rough estimate: the width of the finished model is about the width of the starting paper strip. The height of the clock is somewhere between three to four times its width.
thut

Post by thut »

thanks for your reply, i have started folding the clock and and now stuck on steps 113-117](*,) any help(pictures ect.) would be great
Kaimon

Post by Kaimon »

oh, i started to fold the cuckoo clock in hospital...
it looked quite strange when i had got the 5 meter long sheet of paper on my bed...
well, i stopped folding at step 146-147...
i really dont know how that can be...
anyone able to help?
thut

Post by thut »

i think i am going wrong in step 113, where you fold 2 creases at right angles, as when you are supposed get a box like shape in the later steps i got a cube, i think i folded the left crease at the wrong place, where are the landmarks for this crease supposed to come from.
any help or suggestions would be much appriecieated :D
halalula12345

Post by halalula12345 »

which diagram are u using?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The diagrams are in the book "Origami Design Secrets" of Robert Lang.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

It's been a while since I folded the cuckoo clock, so I can't remember the steps exactly, but maybe I can give a little help...
Kaimon wrote:oh, i started to fold the cuckoo clock in hospital...
it looked quite strange when i had got the 5 meter long sheet of paper on my bed...
5 meters is quite large for that model.... I used 2mx20cm paper and it turned out just the right size.
Kaimon wrote:well, i stopped folding at step 146-147...
i really dont know how that can be...
anyone able to help?
hmmm... as far as I can remember this step happened quite naturally. just turn the clockface 90 degrees clockwise and flatten.
thut wrote:i think i am going wrong in step 113 (...) i think i folded the left crease at the wrong place, where are the landmarks for this crease supposed to come from.
you should have done both of the creases necessary for this step during the precreasing

Well, maybe not much of a help, but I'm planning to do the cuckoo clock again soon with better paper than last time. So if I notice something more then, I'll post it :)

So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
thut

Post by thut »

What sort of paper would you recomend using, on robert langs website it said he used Zanders 'elefantenhaut' paper, what exactly is this paper and where can i get it. Where I live(New Zealand) good origami paper is not available, so for the clock i am using a role of baking paper, as it was the only paper i could find in the right size.

For step 113 i think i have found the right crease, so i may be going wrong in the next few steps, does anyone have any photos of these steps?
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

"Elefantenhaut Papier" or "elephant hide paper" or "Wyndstone Marble paper" looks like this
[img]http://www.hollanders.com/otherpapers/a ... _green.jpg[/img]
and is available in different thicknesses and colours.

Since this paper is rather thick it is more suitable for wetfolding than normal folding, and I haven't got myself to try this yet.

I found one page where you can order it online worldwide, but they seem quite expensive. http://www.hollanders.com/otherpapers/coloredstone.htm

Alternatively you can move to Austria because here you can get it very easily in paper shops. :P

The first time I folded the cuckoo clock I used packing paper for the same reason you used baking paper, I didn't have to tape the paper together to get the right size. This turned out to be a bad idea because the paper was too soft and didn't hold the form well.
Recently I saw a roll of Kraftpaper as gift wrapping which might be very good for folding the cuckoo clock. I only have to test it out.

As for pictures you will have to wait until I get around to fold the clock again as I don't really want to unfold my clock back to the necessary steps (as you will probably understand ^_^ )

Gerwin
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Anna & me folded the cuckoo clocks last night and documented it with photos at http://www.origamiaustria.at/articles.php?lang=2.
There you will also find a detailed description of the steps 113-117 if you still need help with them.

Gerwin
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Thanks for posting the photojournal - it's a very interesting and entertaining report on the folding process. I admire your patience - both of you! :D
esato

Post by esato »

Daydreamer wrote:Anna & me folded the cuckoo clocks last night and documented it with photos at http://www.origamiaustria.at/articles.php?lang=2.
There you will also find a detailed description of the steps 113-117 if you still need help with them.

Gerwin
That´s awesome! I like the idea of folding together. But I don´t have any partner to share that joy with :(

The pictures are great! The cuckoo clocks look awesome. But why aren´t there any pictures of the folders? I think that we, Anna´s groupies, deserve to see our idol! :D :D :D :D
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Isn't it enough for you to see her hands? :P
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Actually, it was pretty interesting to see her apartment... :D

(Are those empty cat food cans I see at the lower left corner of the last picture?)