Robert Lang locust

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
garrasdecaiman

Post by garrasdecaiman »

yes it is!, in the end you will modify this to make the central tip the elytra and will have two thick layers as wings and a central one as the abdomen, the last remaining one will be the head so the 3 to 1 ratio of flaps that you have there will be the final orientation.
If you like you can re order the central portion now, also I recommend that you sink the central tip as soon as possible since once you sink the flaps to thin them the lock up somewhat, I measure the line of the sinks and then sink the central part and then sink the sides.

X
Vkai

Post by Vkai »

Is this correct flaps distribution at step 61? I cant get it look like in diagrams 62-69,and even if i get 62 right 63 is wrong.Im going crazy,trying it for over an hour but i rather be sure that the flaps are ok.

Edit: Got it phew,took me some time :D
awesomesplosion

Post by awesomesplosion »

i figured out the altered bird base but i dont know where to start on the gusset
meh
garrasdecaiman

Post by garrasdecaiman »

yeah!!! actually he uses a freaky trick for this,
the initial point is not obtainable from the model alone!!!! :shock:
but since I have no values I will explain how HE does it
the reference point is given at the beginning of the sequence it consists of:
using two edges which are perpendicular to each other in the initial square
imagine an L if you will
taking the centerpoint of one side of the paper and aligning it with the next edge of the perpendicular, while you at the same time align the the furthest edge of the perpendicular edge ( the corner) to the opposite paralell edge this gives a diagonal that crosses the first side and this is the reference for the gusset

Am I making myself clear? I don't think so so I will explain again
in a square we will number the sides in a clockwise fashion starting with a side called 1.
align the centerpoint of side 1 with the edge of side 2 and the corner between side 2 and 3 with the edge of side 4, a diagonal crosses from side 1 to side 3, the point of this diagonal touching side 1 is the reference for the gusset in locust Op. 430

after you fold the central birdbase and sink it use that reference on two places to locate the dimensions of the enpoints of the gusset

Hope this helps
X
awesomesplosion

Post by awesomesplosion »

thx
meh
mixmastermarc16

Post by mixmastermarc16 »

while i respect and greatly admire Mr. langs contribution to complex origami design, i must say that this is one of his most poorly designed models. the use of paper isnt very effective or efficient. i was very frusturated folding this model, even with 35-35 paper the central structure of the locust was thick and unorganized. i would greatly reccomend kamiya satoshi longheaded locust or brian chan perched locust, both of which diagrams exist for and are much more enjoyable folding experiences. good luck!
smosher

Re: Robert Lang locust

Post by smosher »

The diagrams are flawed, I made my grasshopper with a few modifications to the diagrammed procedure.
easysid

Post by easysid »

How do I proceed from Step 60. I cannot seem to get the distribution of the flaps to look like the next steps

This is how my model looks after Step 60.
https://imgur.com/IayWzY7

I am stuck here for some time now
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Without having the diagrams (only the CP), I'd guess that you would rabbit-ear the head flap down and in, thus making room for the antennae to be placed forward on either side. Then squash the head flap over the antennae, forming something of a sunken waterbomb.

If you post a picture of the steps in question, it would be easier to give better help.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
easysid

Post by easysid »

Here are the steps in question
https://i.imgur.com/iIzV2F1.jpg

I have completed step 60, but there seems to be an issue with orientation as the next steps don't match
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

It seems as though the trouble you're having is due to the arrangement of the middle flaps, as you said. One of the "medium" flaps looks to be folded with the edges inside in step 64, so maybe all you have to do is reverse-fold the two flaps through the center. (All three spots are circled here. https://imgur.com/a/0SPaGXG ) That should be a good start.
I noticed someone else had trouble at the same spot (and someone else mentioned that the diagrams are "flawed"); it's possible the diagrams are in fact incorrect. If that's the case, it's unfortunately difficult to help without having the full diagrams.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr