Eric Joisel mermaid (cp)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
JumPurge

Re: Eric Joisel mermaid (cp)

Post by JumPurge »

Pretty much. :P
hobbestheprince

Post by hobbestheprince »

Thanks JumPurge for all of your help :-) I see what you meant on that Balrog section on Eric's page. What's funny is I bought his book and the mask diagrams were there as well, so I practiced sinking flaps and rabbit-ear folds for different results :-)

I hate to bother you more, but since the head has been focused on as a bust, how do you (or anyone here) ever figure out where to place the folds for the hat/hair? It has been something that puzzled me for a long time. I noticed some members putting reference points, but never understood how they figured those out. At 30 years old, my math is very rusty to say the least. Is everyone using protractors and rulers to find this out? I'm just curious, because this is kinda like zooming in on a specific section ... so I'm left puzzled.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Which ones do you mean?
Just take the CP in MSPaint and circle the trouble area.
hobbestheprince

Well, doing the hat/hair without a printout makes things difficult. I just want to focus on the head.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Alright, I'll see if I can get this across.

The top has a large right angle triangle. The two side things? They're merely 22.5, which is folding the edge to the 45 degree line. Then where the 22.5 line reaches the mid line of the top 8, fold it to where the right angle triangle ends. That makes the very strange shapes on the sides. Then the right angle is basically half a crane base. And I'm sure you know the bottom six and how to fold them.
hobbestheprince

Could you post a picture of the bust you did?

I'm going to have an aneurysm trying to figure this out.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/npottle/18 ... otostream/
It's pretty much the same as this ones face.
hobbestheprince

Wow, that's pretty impressive you can get that close. I'll try cropping and attempting it that way ...
hobbestheprince

Ha! I just realized I included the arms in my cropping. Sheesh. JumPurge, do you still have your cropped photo? I'm not sure if you traced around the hat and diamonds or what ... I was going to save it to my computer if you have it.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

For one, that's a photo from somebody else, and not of mine. That's Joisel's. Secondly, it's at a small respolution, look to the right and you should see "original" for a large picture.
I do not have a cropped photo, I actually folded the bust from the crease pattern. :|
I also believe I already explained how to get just the head on the paper so you can fold a bust, without printing off the crease pattern, as I'm suspecting you're doing.
hobbestheprince

I thought it would be more safe printing the crease pattern head section instead. I don't get when you say, "two side things." Mentioning that and, "half a crane base" had me perplexed. As mentioned, I'm no math wizard and the 22.5 stuff is Greek to me. When you said, "cropped" I somehow misunderstood you actually "cropped" the photo given on Joisel's site, as well as many others (considering it is really a dwarf base ... only the upper part).

I did the cropping but it included the arm bits as well. The whole, "45 degree line" stuff doesn't make sense to me. I don't have a protractor or ruler or compass or whatever nearby. I was hoping for an explanation perhaps through your actual, "cropped" image or otherwise.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

I was unsure what to call them, but the shape on the sides of the right angle triangle.
Half a crane base:
http://mayleechai.files.wordpress.com/2 ... e-base.jpg
This... in half diagonally.

No when I said cropped, I meant metaphorical.
If I were to make a full scale CP of the mermaid, and compare it to just the head CP I had, it would be the same except it is only the portion of the CP that makes the head.

22.5 + 22.5 = 45
45 + 45 = 90
90 + 90 = 180

Alright. Let me re-explain this. -_-;
Take a normal peice of paper. Divide it into 16ths length wise. Divide it in half the other way.

Folding the edge of the paper to the edge of the crease, will divide that 90 degrees in half, making 45 degree angles. This will go down where you have 8 on the top, and 6 underneath.

Then if you do that again, you get 22.5. Now, that 22.5 on the outside will go down to where you'll have 4 on one side of the paper, and 10 on the other.

Make a fold where you see the ends of both meet. Now you made the circled shapes in first image in the post. All that's left is where you see the horizontal lines intersect with the diagonals, and meet them with other diagonals. So the top crease meeting the diagonal, will meet the bottom crease. then two more times. You can see the three lines in the circled shape.

Half the crane base is simply takeing the rest of the top part (where it's 8 (above, with 6 below) that is a right angle triangle, and folding it into the half crane base.

The last six will be pleated to make the face flaps.

This in no way would require a protractor or ruler of any sorts. The result should look similar to this:
http://origami-brasil.blogspot.com/2009 ... passo.html
hobbestheprince

Ok, so I did the 16ths lengthwise, and folded in half the other way ... then I did it again, dividing the 90 degrees ... It's vague when you say, "Make a fold where you see both ends meet." There are a lot of folds now that can meet anywhere. Here's my picture:

JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

It's not vague at all.

The folds that you made, their ends (90 degree ending at 8:6 and 22.5 at 4:10). That will make the final lower crease, that is inside the circles.
hobbestheprince

Well, time to shoot myself ... no idea what you mean throwing the degree stuff in there. Ah well. You sure you're not a math person? The way you write is like, "OF COURSE! It HAS to be 90 degree ending at 8:6 ... I mean, where ELSE would it be?"

I didn't think anything like this would be so difficult ... especially for a bust. Anyone here have more info or a photodiagram so my wife doesn't kill me for using so much paper? This "text" stuff is getting me nowhere and I'd like to end up with something. I'll pay someone, no joke. This is actually FOR someone and not some random folding. She is not well and this back and forth is getting me nowhere.