Eric Joisel mermaid (cp)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
JumPurge

Re: Eric Joisel mermaid (cp)

Post by JumPurge »

hobbestheprince

Post by hobbestheprince »

Oh boy, I think I was doing it the other way around. I apologize, I'm an idiot. I drew a quick sketch of what I think you are getting to:

JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Yes. That way.
hobbestheprince

Hm, you described this by saying dividing across will get me four down. Well, it's always going to be 16 as you can see on that one side.

JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

No... I'm not even sure how you managed to derive whatever you've folded from what I said. :/
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7854/blehs.png
hobbestheprince

Here's the first step. Is this right?

JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Yes.
And I can honestly say I doubt you need to make a post confirming each step. :lol:
hobbestheprince

Lol, I wish it were that easy, but I want to make sure I am getting this right before I jump off a roof.

That's the next part I did. Dividing it in half. What's next?
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Yes that looks right :/
hobbestheprince

Well, I guess this is it then. I got this far from the instructions:

I should have printed the head by cropping it in photoshop. Is it really worth getting stuck 100 times? Answer: Nope.

The diamonds are easy, but those flaps are outlined in Joisel's book, which I own. I wish he would have made instructions for the hat as well ... not everyone is, "angle bi-sector blah blah blah ..." Would have been a real bloody treat to add a little insight.
hobbestheprince

P.s. The offer is still on the table. I'll pay someone via paypal with instructions on the hat ... Lol, and not a bunch of angle stuff. Pretty to look at, though not easy to grasp. I play guitar and my talents are in the music area ... I'm not a former M.I.T. student.
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

with all due respect ...you might consider folding simpler things first, in order to get some experience - given where you get stuck, let's say it's as if you were asking for instructions on how to hold your guitar in order to decode a piece by Mark Knopfler...
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
hobbestheprince

Gachepapier: It's more like a person asking how to play a song by Mark Knopfler, so I would transcribe it for them, considering I can play by ear and am a nice guy.

If I had seen someone that stuck and discouraged at figuring out a song, I would do my best to help them out.

I don't expect to be a natural at this. I folded Joisel's dwarf, which I still have from 2 years ago. Sadly, it was from printing the CP. It's that hat that kills me ... I hate that thing.
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

Don't mean to offense or to come off as mean, I meant this as the best advice I can give. If it's any solace, Eric had no problem with just precreasing with a tool and by measuring things out, rather than construct each and every fold. But this model has a simplish base and I figure the real hard part comes only after this has been collapsed, in typical Joisel fashion. I doubt I could fold it to my satisfaction.
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
hobbestheprince

I think that's my best bet. I was going to cheat and print the cp but crop the head. Then, I can figure out where the edge is going to form the hat part. Just saying the math doesn't help me at all. Or, I can buy a protractor, but I'm broke for a while :-(

Don't worry gachepapier, you didn't come across as rude or anything. By the way, I've seen your models before ... very cool. There is one that starts with a C that is a woman with tentacles ... I love that one. Oh, and the soldier mask.