New model

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
hermanntrude

New model

Post by hermanntrude »

I have "invented" a table. it's so incredibly simple, though i suspect someone else did it already. have a look and see if you recognise it:

Diagram 1

Diagram 2
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

I have realised this also makes a good box. If you invert the fish bases (i think that's what they are) at step 6, and then fold down the sides, the bases end up on the inside and the whole box is locked neatly in place.

Still seems pretty simple. i am just waiting for someone to tell me how many millions of times this has been discovered before
Last edited by hermanntrude on November 24th, 2005, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duck

Post by Duck »

Well I've never seen it before. Then again, I haven't seen that many models...

Its damn clever though. I like it. Good job! :D

(My first post besides! Hurrah!)
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

welcome. it's a good place to be.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Another nice thing you can do with your table is the following:

Fold 2 of them of the same size.

Then for one of them sink the legs of the table all the way through to get 4 pockets instead of the legs. It's easier to do this before making the model 3D, that is after step 4.
Or even easier: After making the creases for Step 1 before collapsing the model, fold in all 4 corners towards the long vertical creases, then collapse, make Step 2 as shown, skip Step 3, and continue folding the table as normal.

So anyway, no matter how you did it, you should now have one half box with 4 "spikes" and one half box with 4 pockets, and now you can assemble them by putting the spikes into the pockets, et voila, you have a box with a fitting lid to it, and they hold together pretty well. :) Putting them together is a bit fiddly though.

So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

i've found out who invented it before me.

I was flipping through neal elias's misc folds 1, and found the grand piano. much better use of the technique, but essentially the same way of making the legs.