Help With Step 10 of Mike Case's Drake Model

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Roketto

Help With Step 10 of Mike Case's Drake Model

Post by Roketto »

Hello! I'm new to the Origami Forums, but I hope it will prove to be a useful resource for me. :)

Anyway, I am currently trying to make the Drake model by Mike Case:

http://members.shaw.ca/yagowe/origami/drake.html

I'm stuck at Step 10. It says to "Reverse fold the lower points up." I can't figure out how to do this, & the picture is very unhelpful. :?

So, can anyone please help me get past this step?
- 龍潔刀, 竜の王妃!

蟻が恐竜に勝てると思ったのか? - フリーザ様

philipinorigami101

Post by philipinorigami101 »

unless your confused with the order of pictures with the words, its just a regular reverse fold. oh, and welcome to the forums :D
dcbaok

Re: Help With Step 10 of Mike Case's Drake Model

Post by dcbaok »

Roketto wrote:
I'm stuck at Step 10. It says to "Reverse fold the lower points up." I can't figure out how to do this, & the picture is very unhelpful. :?

So, can anyone please help me get past this step?
You've made 2 flaps at the top. fold them in half vertically to make them points. The points below will have become flaps. You can now fold the tips of these bottom flaps up to meet the top point of the model. Then open the model back out to how you started step 10 creating the flaps at the top again.

Hope this helps!

:P
Roketto

Response

Post by Roketto »

Thank you for the welcome! No, I understand that the caption for each picture is below it, I figured that much out.

As for dcbaok's response.........yeesh, could you please draw me a picture or post a video please? I'm sorry, I'm just more of a visual learner, which is why the directions & accompanying picture make so little sense to me. #-o
- 龍潔刀, 竜の王妃!

蟻が恐竜に勝てると思ったのか? - フリーザ様

dcbaok

Post by dcbaok »

OK here's pictures

Here's the model at the beginning of step 10, as pictured in the diagram. My thumb is on the front of the model as pictured in step 10, and i'm holding open the flaps on the top, you can see the point hidden inside.

This is opening up the sides of the model, my index finger is now on the front of the model as pictured in step 10. You can see I'm opening up the side and the hidden point is now visible.

Once you've opened up both sides as in the previous picture, you fold up the bottom points to meet the top of the model, as below. Do this on both sides

Now close up the sides again, returning the model to the configuration it was at the start of this process, with the flaps exposed at the front and back, but with the bottom points reverse folded up to the top.

Step 10 completed.

Hope this helps!
Roketto

Response

Post by Roketto »

I'm so sorry, I'm really having a hard time with this....it looks like, in the 1st picture, you're holding it upside-down from the way it is in Step 10. I can put my model that way, so I see the hidden point, but after that, you've lost me. :( Arrrgh this is so frustrating....I've screwed up my paper so it has holes in it from too much bending back & forth trying to get it like your pictures.

I think at this point, a video might be a better option, so I can see how you move from step to step. >_<o
- 龍潔刀, 竜の王妃!

蟻が恐竜に勝てると思ったのか? - フリーザ様

dcbaok

Post by dcbaok »

I recommend you sleep on it, and start again tomorrow with a new piece of paper, preferably at least 25cm square (around 10 inches).

If yours doesn't look like my step 10 I think you may have gone wrong somewhere along the way.

I can't do video but maybe you can post pictures of what you've got, which may help...
Roketto

Response

Post by Roketto »

Okay, I slept on it, still can't figure it out.

Anyway, here are some pictures. Sorry for the bad webcam quality.

[img]http://i51.tinypic.com/ehnrco.jpg[/img]

Here's the whole model I have so far.

[img]http://i55.tinypic.com/nco0hl.jpg[/img]

Here it is showing the hidden point. Note that I have turned it upside-down from the first picture.

As you can see, the paper I'm using is big; 30.5 cm by 30.5 cm.
- 龍潔刀, 竜の王妃!

蟻が恐竜に勝てると思ったのか? - フリーザ様

dcbaok

Post by dcbaok »

You have much nicer paper than I do.

I'm not at home so don't have my model to look at but from what I recall, this might be as simple as you narrowed the wrong points in step 9, though I'm not sure.

If you look at the model in step 8, you can't tell from the diagram but the top of the model has 2 flaps, front and back, and the bottom consists of points, left and right. The hidden 45 degree point is at the top in between the front & rear flaps, as in my first photo.

It looks like you may have had the model upside-down at this point and narrowed the flaps, leaving the points at the top...
Roketto

Response

Post by Roketto »

Haha, I got my paper at a discount store in a big pad of scrapbook designs & patterns. They are supposedly perfect squares, & I don't know if it's me being spazzy or they're not square, but I can't seem to get a perfect fold corner-to-corner. Oh well.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, I have a class to teach tonight, but when I get back, I'll start over with a new sheet, & try to fold it right this time.
- 龍潔刀, 竜の王妃!

蟻が恐竜に勝てると思ったのか? - フリーザ様

Beggar

Re: Help With Step 10 of Mike Case's Drake Model

Post by Beggar »

I am really bad with technical diagrams like these could someone please help me and show me how to fold this with pictures please? (it's not the folds that are the problem it's me not understand what to even fold)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.