Low-intermediate through Intermediate learning models?

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
trav

Low-intermediate through Intermediate learning models?

Post by trav »

Hello again!

I am looking for some models to create, that practice folds at the level of difficulty stated in the subject. I have been folding cranes, lillies, waterbombs, & frogs to get some basic folds down... I have made several dozen of these, & am looking to move onto something more advanced.

ATM I am too poor to afford paper, or books (lol, its x-mas!!) so I am folding off of a block of colored paper about 3.75 X 3.75 inches, & using diagrams I find online. Any suggestions are welcome!!!

Thanks!
saj

Post by saj »

Have you tried http://www.origami.com ? You can even sort the models by difficulty.

Saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
trav

Post by trav »

Thanks for the response Saj! I have looked there, I was just wondering if there was an archetypical fold to work on at that level, that would be used repeatedly at the intermediate & advanced levels (like the birdbase, waterbomb base, etc). Thanks though!
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Maybe what you are looking for is a base with many flaps, one that is not so difficult to make and that can be used for different subjects. Try the blintzed frog base. First you blintz the four corners and then you make a frog base with the reduced square you get from step 1. Then you unfold everything and you get 4 bird bases and 8 flaps.

I have an alternative way of doing it and is explained at http://www.angelfire.com/co/cubo/Bfbase.html
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

In addition to what Brimstone's suggested, there's also the blintzed bird base, which is also quite commonly seen in intermediate models. Another common base would be the bird base with four corner grafts.

Beyond a certain difficulty level though, there's really no such thing as an 'archetypical fold' - many high intermediate/complex models can be broken up into bird bases, waterbomb bases, etc, all linked up by some means or other. At this point, toss out the difficulty level ratings (which are more or less arbitrary anyway) and just attempt the model. If it doesn't work, try something else.

Also, you might want to start using larger paper - 3.75 inches is starting to get small, especially for the more advanced models. A ream of letter-sized or A4 paper costs only slightly more than a block of memo paper; in fact, it may end up being cheaper if you calculate the price/area ratio. And 500 sheets of this stuff would last you a pretty long time! :D
trav

Post by trav »

Is'nt a4 paper regular copy machine/printer paper? If I could, I would prefer to buy thinner paper than that, adn already cut to square. I have access to a paper cutter in my office, but it is horribly dull, &I can never get a good straight cut. Thanks for the advice on the folds guys!
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

trav wrote:Is'nt a4 paper regular copy machine/printer paper?
That's generally true in most of the civilized world, but there's some weird foreign places that use things like "letter" and "legal" as copy paper... :D

Anyway, take a look at the packaging for copy paper - they'll often list the weight, which is typically around 80-90 grams/square metre. Sometimes you can find lighter ones, around 60-70 gsm, but these aren't typically for copiers and printers.

As for squares, offhand I can only think of two kinds which are sold commercially - prepackaged kami (from online stores, or check http://www.origamisources.com), or scrapbooking paper (way too thick for folding). Any other paper requires cutting, I'm afraid. There was a topic on this earlier; you might find it helpful:
http://snkhan.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=504
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

If you are using single sided color paper you can try a blintz with folding half the corners onto the opppsite side in different cominations, then fold a birdbase.
It adds a notch of complexity and the result can be some pretty interesting duo colored cranes :)