"Stretch the Point" Weasel by G. Willow

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
melikamiki

"Stretch the Point" Weasel by G. Willow

Post by melikamiki »

Has anyone done the weasel by Gabriel Weasel. I've run across a term I've never heard before and the diagram doesn't make it much clearer. What is "stretch the point". The diagram picture looks way different from what I'm attempting and the only way I can think to get the point as far over as it looks is to cut (!) the paper (obviously wrong). Has anyone done thing weasel or at least know what the term refers to and how the fold should look? The weasel is in the database.

Thanks!
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

It's refering to an Elias stretch, which is a technique commonly used in box pleating. It's a bit hard to describe without pictures, but I'll try. If you take a look at the region to be stretched, there's three triangular flaps all connected at a common vertical axis. What you do is, hold the bottommost triangular flap with one hand, and the topmost flap in the other. Then pull these apart slowly - the middle triangular point should start to flatten out. Continue pulling/stretching the two points apart until the middle triangle has completely flattened out. You should end up with something that looks like a trapezium, like in the windmill base.
thut

Post by thut »

There are photos of what I think is an Elias Stretch at http://snkhan.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph ... =box+pleat