Eyes of the Unicorn from Zog [solved]

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Alexandre

Eyes of the Unicorn from Zog [solved]

Post by Alexandre »

I am quite frustrated by the eyes of the Unicorn from Zog.
The model itself is very nice, but I can't make nice eyes.

http://home.no.net/origami/zog1.htm

Here is the end of the diagrams :

[img]http://home.no.net/origami/zog4.gif[/img]
[img]http://home.no.net/origami/zog5.gif[/img]

the little flaps made during the step 41 an not be really big because during the step 45 we put a piece of paper on the left and right side of the head... so I got only 2 very little ridiculous eyes, completly different from the picture at the end of the diagram.

Any idea to make this better ?

I tried to make a special fish base during the step 39 by making a bigger surface for the eyes, but after the step 45 is impossble.
Last edited by Alexandre on January 10th, 2006, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

Well I don't know if you did this, but according to the diagrams you are supposed to (In step 48) put one layer over the top, but under the eyes. "Place he dark edges on top of the nearest edges, but let the eyes be free" so place the layer under the eyes, they are another layer. Don't put the layer over the eyes to.

Hope that helps.
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
Alexandre

Post by Alexandre »

this is a very good point,

but if I do this, the head looks completly different from the pictures of the steps 46-58, because in this case, the head is really separated from the neck and the part under the head.

strange...
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

I kinda know what you are talking about... in step 38 I do not see what flap you would wrap around in order to make it look like 58. I will try to fold it and see what happens.
Flickr Photos
Alexandre

Post by Alexandre »

I received some help from the creator of the model :
In step 41 you petal-fold, following a vertical valley-fold that should be placed some distance to the right of the vertical center line. This should theoretically cause trouble when you wrap around the layer underneath in step 45, but it doesn't, because the dark edges doesn't manage to reach all the way in to the center line (because of paper thickness).

"in this case, the head is really separated from the neck and the part under the head"

What do you mean? In step 45 the underlying edges are wrapped around the diamond-shaped "head" so that only the eyes stick out. Then the model is mountainfolded vertically in half to make the figure in step 46. If the diagrams look a bit clumsy, it might be because this is the first model I ever diagrammed using a computer.
I get it now :D
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

Yeah, I think that's what I did..... I folded the model succsesfuly, with no trouble.
Flickr Photos