Cigarette paper,

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Morgan

Cigarette paper,

Post by Morgan »

Has anyone ever designed any models or anything that is folded with a cigarette paper? It has a gummed edge usually so that would make for cool otherwise impossible placement, and shape really if you think about it.

Usually they are 1 inch, 1.5 inch, and 2 inch tall, and I don't know how wide ... maybe like 3, or 3.5 inches. Anyway, let me know if anyone has ever heard of such a thing. (Or decides to get creative?)
esato

Post by esato »

First: don´t smoke, it´s very bad for your health ! :D

There is a flower you can make that paper: http://origami.paginas.sapo.pt/flor%20de%20tabaco.htm
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

I think Morgan is talking about the rice paper around the tobacco.
Cheech and Chong had a very nice sized one inside a record they made that would work well.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

first off...i dont smoke cigarettes, they are bad and the american governments way of controlling substances, and people. why are prescription srugs illegal without a oprescription? to make you pay a ton of money when you get sick and need them...or rather you dont even need them, that is the scientists (government) telling you that. so anywho, dont smoke unless you want to be brainwashed... and secondly i was refering to the rolling paper, and third cheech and chong are indeed cool, that paper on the album is absurd :P
chapbell

Club Papers

Post by chapbell »

As an ex-smoker, I will recommend Club papers. No glue - the fibers grab each other when wet. Extremely thin, translucent. And it comes in different sizes, as I recall.
http://origami.oschene.com
Open Source Origami
It isn't origami till you share it.
emmajg

rizla paper

Post by emmajg »

Vincent Floderer (think i spelt it right) designed a seed using rizla/cigarette paper you fold it similar to his mushrooms and when you drop it in water it opens up like a flower.

I find the king size rizla works best but you normally find that paper in "dodgy" shops

Em

p.s. i don't smoke never have but i don't have problem with ppl who smoke everyone has a choice
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

I've found that the paper lining the inside of a standard pack of cigarettes is very forgiving. I use it for new patterns that I am unsure of, or complex folds where I need a little give. I get a decent supply from the large number of people in my life that smoke.

Didn't Sadako fold the paper her daily dose came in? Her cranes have inspired me to fold whatever paper I get my hands on. Sometimes the most unexpected source can lead to the most unique creations.

As for the side discussion: If you want to speak out on the dangers of smoking, there's a lovely message board at http://www.thetruth.com to do just that. If you smoke, good for you, it's your choice. If you don't, good for you, it's also your choice. As an American, I have the freedom to make that choice myself, and the duty to NOT infringe on your freedom to do the same.
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Tyrannosaurus by John Montroll, traditional crane & a crane derivation.
folded with 4cm squares from standard rolling papers
Friet

Post by Friet »

I don't smoke cigarettes. But since I live in the Netherlands and the green stuff is legal over here, I do have some paper for rolling jo... eh cigarettes lying around. They're about 2-3x7-8 cm. I've only folded some cranes and bird base roses out of those papers though. Having large rolls of the paper would be really sweet. It's really thin, doesn't tear easily and it's white. (I like white paper)
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

I hope one day I get to go to the Netherlands and fold some origami animals out of the rolling papers there. :D