Joseph Wu's eagle

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Alekos

Joseph Wu's eagle

Post by Alekos »

Hi!

First of all, sorry for my bad English but I'm Italian and so.... I write here because I found a problem trying to do the eagle made by Joseph Wu. In the first step of this diagram he says to tuck inside, but I really can't understand what he mean by this because I can't tuck inside that piece of paper. If anybody can help me I'll be very happy.

Thx for all and if anybody has corrections to do about my bad english he's welcome!
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

When you do a frog base you get 4 short flaps. One of these flaps is the one that you are told to hide or tuck. to do that you have to open the model and tuck inside that small point (flap).

if you've ever done a blintzed frog base and then turned it into 4 bird bases you might know what I mean
Alekos

Post by Alekos »

i think i did it...i'm not really sure but i think it's ok.Thanks a lot for the answer Brimstone,if i've got other problems i'll ask here!

thx a lot again
Alekos

Post by Alekos »

sry again,it's the last thing i'll ask,what does he mean by telling"sink the tip of the tail?

thx again
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

The tip of the tail goes inside the layers.

You know, that's not a very good eagle model...
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
Alekos

Post by Alekos »

but i like this model...thx for the help joe finally i met you,it's been a pleasure

Bye
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

Joseph Wu wrote: You know, that's not a very good eagle model...
I beg to differ because your eagle is relatively simple, exactly do justice to proportions of real eagle -- which is the main principle of Origami! -- and has perfect pose and balance. My brother can fold your eagle realy very good, without any rip and with very high folding quality (I am every time rip the head). If you are interested in this eagle, I can send its picture to this forum.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

hiya. a little off-topic but the comment bout turning a blintzed frog-base into eight bird bases intrigued me, so i made a blintzed frog-base and couldnt find any way of doing it. is there a diagram anywhere or could u describe it a little for me? please?

thanks
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

OK doesnt matter i think ive done it. but it doesnt lay flat... is that right?
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

It's four bird bases. If you unfold the blintzed frog base, look at the pattern of creases. The square is divided into four bird bases. (Fold a bird base and unfold to see)
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

yes. since my last post i did exactly that and made four bird bases... although for a long time i has missed out a crease and so itwouldnt lie flat. i then stretched each bird base, fussed with it for a while, trying to think what to make of it and gave up. interesting shapes though... a good learning experience
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

The base is pretty versatile - it's been used for formula one racecars, riders on dragons, etc.
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

And the blintzed frog makes for some rather pretty flowers. I use it for my water lily.

Also, we like your eagle, Joe, even if you think you could do better. It's easy to fold, it's recognizable as an eagle, and it only requires one piece of paper. To me, that makes it better than the other patterns floating around on the internet.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

cybermystic wrote:And the blintzed frog makes for some rather pretty flowers. I use it for my water lily.
Do you have any pictures of that water lily (or any other flowers you designed with the blintzed frog base)?
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
AnnieB

EAGLE'S THAT FLY...,

Post by AnnieB »

Joseph Wu wrote:The tip of the tail goes inside the layers.

You know, that's not a very good eagle model...
YOU KNOW WHAT , I'D LOVE TO SEE THE EAGLE YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT - I AM FAIRLY NEW TO ORIGAMI BUT ALREADY I AM FINDING IT A CONSUMING INTEREST!

I would also love to track down the seashell design by Toshikazu Kawasaki - can anyone help? Is it published? :P