Ray Horacek - Lord Vader

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
ignababbini

Ray Horacek - Lord Vader

Post by ignababbini »

Hello everyone! New guy over here. First, I'll introduce myself: my name is Ignacio, I'm from Argentina and I always loved origami. I always loved to fold paper and make little things for my friends, but lately I've been having trouble with a particular model, which since about two months ago until today I just can't get it done. You see, usually I would stop trying from doing it, nothing deserves that much of “obssesiveness” from me (yeah, I'm THAT kind of person :P ), especially if it's only for my personal collection, but here is where it gets tricky. The thing is, this particular model that has been blowing my mind away for weeks now, it's a kind of a special thing. I'm gonna be straight here (and this may get a little cheesy, be warned), I need to make this particular model for a "special friend" of mine. Yes, I know, it's stupid, but it's one of those stupid things that has an immense emotional stone attached to it. I promised to make one for her, after she made me a "Master Yoda" for my birthday, those little big things, you know... She is now in her hometown, been there for about 3 months and it's coming back in a few days, and I want to receive her with this special thing, that may look dull for some, but it really means a lot for us.

I'm sorry if someone catches diabetes with all this, really not my intention at all :lol: . So, the thing is that I still can't get it done, and I'm turning desperate. So, excuse me if this isn't where I should put a request (or if there even is a section for doing this), but I would really, REALLY appreciate if someone can make a video on how to make this particular model, step by step. I've been trying to decipher the manual (a .PDF file) but I just can't. The model's name is "Lord Vader", by Ray Horacek, the instructions came in the 1998 USA Convention book. Here's a picture:

I didn't linked the .PDF file since I believe that it isn't allowed here, sorry about that, but the diagrams can be easily found by googleing "Ray Horacek Lord Vader". Then again, please, if someone can make this happen, I would be eternally grateful :D .
Thanks for taking the time to read, I know it's long, and probably a pain in the arse, but I just don't know what else to do.

Greetings from Argentina!... And may the force be with you! :lol:

PD: Sorry for my bad English, I swear it's not on purpose :P
maddoghoek100

Re: Ray Horacek - Lord Vader

Post by maddoghoek100 »

where EXACTLY are you stuck and how many time have you tried the model. I have not folded this before, but the diagrams seem reasonable if you can fold a frog base, bird base and know what a closed sink is.

EDIT: it is a bit of a pain that the version of the diagrams do not distinguish between colored and white sides of the paper

If you can tell me what step you are stuck on i would be willing to fold this and take a few pictures, but it is an intermediate to high intermediate model. If it is above your current skill level no video or photo diagrams are going to get you there, just practice and patience.

If you are stuck on step 14 - 18 just skip 15 - 17 and make it lie flat as in 18. In the test fold i did i could not see how skipping these would have a negative impact on the final model
ignababbini

Post by ignababbini »

Indeed, I'm stuck there, between steps 14-18, especially 14-15, I just don't get HOW I should collapse it, nor how it should look like afterwards. I've tried to continue despite the fact that I don't know this, but never knowing if I was doing it right or just folding here and there until it looked like in the diagram. That's why I'm asking for a video, since I'm having a big trouble with imagining how it should be folded, but any kind help would be much appreciated.
Yes, I may be pretty amateur on the field, but I've never had any troubles with following diagrams when trying new models, until this one came across. Anyways, thanks for replying :) .
maddoghoek100

Post by maddoghoek100 »

Step 12, just in case you need it

14 straight to 18 (skipped 15, 16, 17)

ignababbini

Post by ignababbini »

Thanks for the pics! At least now I know I was doing it right until there. I came across another problem; I found the step 21 impossible. I'll add some pics and a video so you can see what I mean (they're too big for embedding, ergo the links, sorry about that).

Step 19
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... IMG160.jpg

Step 20 (without closed sink)
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... IMG161.jpg

Step 20 (With closed sink)
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... IMG162.jpg

And here is where I'm supposed to do step 21, but I don't see how.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... IMG164.jpg

Here's a video on how I made the closed sink, for further reference.

Also, some doubts about other step. On step 31... Am I suppose to sink the entire model tip? That's an awful lot, and looks pretty much impossible. Any suggestions there?
ignababbini

Post by ignababbini »

Thanks for the pics! Now I almost completed it, but there are 2 things that I still don't get. I can't make the spread squash on step 21, at least not as the diagram shows. Here are some pics and a video: http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy115/ignababbini/

Also, on step 31, am I suppose to sink the entire model tip? That's way too much, can't see a way to do it without ruining the rest of the model. Any sugestions here?

Thanks again for all the help.
maddoghoek100

Post by maddoghoek100 »

your picture of 21 looks exactly right, just precrease as shown and squash that point down.

When you smash that point down You are spreading the paper on either side of that pint apart to lie flat on your precrease
frankandernestbugle

Post by frankandernestbugle »

Could you post a video tutorial of how to make Lord Vader from step 1 to 51? I'm better at imitating a video then a pdf file