Modular Molecules

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
dinogami

Modular Molecules

Post by dinogami »

Hi All! - A colleague recently showed me a flyer he got for a new organic chemistry textbook:

... and asked if I could make it. I am totally not into modulars and am not even remotely familiar with the available body of literature on them. I do know that the Molecular Origami book isn't really origami, and so haven't pursued that one. I admit that the architecture for the model on the book's cover looks pretty simple and could probably come up with it myself, but I was curious if it's part of a larger, published set of modules to which I could refer my colleague for any future use. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Baltorigamist

Re: Modular Molecules

Post by Baltorigamist »

These don't look that hard to make in theory, but I'd have to mess with the angles a lot. Also, the name of the person who originally devised the unit I would use escapes me. :I
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
philipinorigami101

Post by philipinorigami101 »

try this:
http://www.origaminut.com/174/six-intersecting-squares
pretty similar in my opinion :D
And there are more modulars in there as well.
Have fun!
Who said life was easy?
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

Cool--I'll give that one a look-see! I also found this one, although it looks a bit different:

This one is quite different in style (and of a different molecule), but more complex and intriguing in its own way:

Just in case anyone else is interested! Thanks so much for your help!
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

Jens Kober (Jeko) has a H2O model published in the Christmas origami book. Not sure id that is what you are looking for though because that is just 1 sheet.
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

Yoshihide Momotani published origami book about molecules some time ago. I folded fulerene from that book:
http://www.origamido.cz/wp-content/uplo ... uleren.jpg
(green are carbon, red are hydrogen)
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

Yeah, I've been on the look-out now for Momotani's book...it's hard to come by!

For anyone else interested, I received a reply from the book's publisher about the model on the cover:

"The origami pattern of the molecule was invented by Francis M. Y. W. Ow., and was shared in the article 'Molecular Modeling of Fullerenes with Modular Origami', by Louis Cuccia et al., in The Chemical Intelligencer. This pattern allows one to assemble structures with vertices of 120 degrees or 108 degrees, allowing one to simulate organic chemical structures (the sp2 link is of 120 degrees, structures with rings of 5 members are 108 degrees, etc). To create a molecule like these one chooses a known one or invents one and proceeds by assembling it based on the angles it has, for example, the anthracene (attached molecule) contains 26 links of 120 degrees, so you need 26 origami pieces to make it. All the links are seen as simple ones and the color difference is dependent on the binding atom, A Fullerene C60 has 120 links, so you need 120 origami pieces to make the complete figure. Principally one makes aromatic molecules with sp2 links."

In case anyone's interested, the article is available here, and it contains pictures of some pretty elaborate molecules made with the module.