Reverse-Engineering Akira Yoshizawa's Fox

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
abnyc

Reverse-Engineering Akira Yoshizawa's Fox

Post by abnyc »

Hi all,

I know that this fox of Yoshizawa's has not been diagrammed. My question is, does anyone have an idea how it was folded? It looks pretty simple, and I'm happy to work out the details and shaping if anyone has an idea how it may have been constructed — specifically the legs, tail, and ears in relation to the main body. Could it possibly be a variation on the one diagrammed in "Creative Origami"? (below)

HankSimon
Buddha

Re: Reverse-Engineering Akira Yoshizawa's Fox

Post by HankSimon »

I am not a Yoshizawa expert [but maybe Michael LaFosse is?], but I don't think that one model of one subject is necessarily similar to another model. I might guess that his models are more similar based on chronology, so you might try to discover when this model was folded and look for models around the same period.

Because his models may have been the first of that subject, with that type of detail, I expect that the use of paper is not as efficient as current methods. Also,I think that the model would be easier to fold and to diagram, than model models.

I assume he did Not use Montroll's 4 legged dog base, but I could imagine that his base would be very similar, created independently.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

You might want to look into some of Mark Leonard's work. I know his Wolf looks somewhat similar.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Meldrew

Post by Meldrew »

the base of Albertino's lycaon produces the approx. body ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cavemanboon/3089977184/
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

To be honest, it looks like the top fox is a two-piece model, with separate sheet for front and back. You really have to think about this possibility if you're analyzing Yoshizawa's models.
abnyc

Post by abnyc »

Malleon — that's an excellent point. It defintely does look like 2-piece model, especially with the way the neck angles outward where it meets the front legs.
abnyc

Post by abnyc »

There's a resemblance with the single-square "Zorro" by Juan Gimeno (in Pajarita Convention 2012).