Rectangular box with specific instructions

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
TheChemist

Rectangular box with specific instructions

Post by TheChemist »

Hi,
I deleted my question of how to nicely fold a rectangular box as an improvement of how we do it now at my work. Some of you pointed out that because it is a commercial application is should be paid, which i understand and respect. However, I cannot offer money, for which I apologize. So I'll just rather remove the post (cant find a delete button, probably requires a moderator. will look into it later). For whoever actively tried to come with a solution, thank you very very much. If you still want to 'donate' your solution, you're still very welcome.
Thank you.
TheChemist.
Last edited by TheChemist on July 14th, 2015, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kareshi

Re: Rectangular box with specific instructions

Post by kareshi »

That's a lot of engineering you're asking us to do for your company for free.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Yeah and with that name I think you're making crystal meth. Haha i've watched too much "breaking bad" I guess.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

While you are waiting for an exact solution, Youtube and Google might have something close. THis is not a rectangle, but is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENdSjQIoljQ
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

I have deleted my original comment. At first I thought making an origami box of these exact dimensions would be too difficult to be worth the effort, but when I sketched it out, I realized I may be onto something.
I have folded a prototype in 1:4 scale. It ended up about 2 mm narrower and 1 mm taller than it was supposed to, I'll look into it tomorrow to check if the geometry of the model is correct. If it is, the problem happenned due to inadequately precise folding. In any case, I think I came very close to solving your problem.

You only need to measure the starting rectangle correctly, for a box of the requested size, the format'd need to be 112 cm (can be longer) by 72 cm. This results in a box with two lid flaps that have a small overlap and can be locked into one another so the box stays closed.

I think I could modify the model to have a lid flap on each side if necessary, but that'd take a wider rectangle.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Given that this is a commercial request a solution to the problem should be paid.
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

I am sorry it took so long, but the box is done. I am ready to send you the instructions.