Chinese Modular Origami Boat Instructions

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
curwenx

Chinese Modular Origami Boat Instructions

Post by curwenx »

Hi,

I'm looking for instructions to fold a modular chinese origami boat. The style of folding is sometimes called 3d Origami and sometimes Chinese modular origami.

It consists of weaving together hundreds of small triangular origami modules. There are, to the extent of my knowledge, two English books on the subject:

3D Origami

More 3D Origami

I have the first book, but it does not contain the model I want. I'm not sure about the second book.

What I want to fold is a boat, commonly seen in China, ususally folded from small domination money (1 or 2 fen, which is 0.01 or 0.02 RMB respectively) or from fake ceremonial money. I'm sure there are lots of variations, but I've never been able to find instructions for one. I'm looking for a webpage with instructions, a book with instruction or a folding kit. I don't care about language either, English, Japanese or Chinese are all fine.

Btw. are there any good webshops for ordering Japanese origami books. Any tips on what this style of origami is called in Japanese will also be helpful.
elf

Post by elf »

www.andrew.cmu.edu/~danl/random/origami/my_modular.htm

I hope this helps...he has some very nice models. I don't remember seeing anything about a boat, but you may be able to contact him directly.
nanis357

Post by nanis357 »

If you are interested in making a boat using the chinese modular origami method. there is a book i use "more & more 3D ORIGAMI". It has a diagram for a dragon boat. I created one from the book and then scaled up the design to make a much bigger one. with a little modification you create one in almost any form you wish