Crocodiles?

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
WhiteShadows

Crocodiles?

Post by WhiteShadows »

Anyone seen any good looking Crocodiles on the net please tell if you know. thx in advance!
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Good looking crocodiles on the net? Sure, there's plenty. Try here. Some of those guys are particularly handsome. :D

(phhhhbbbtt. Note that you didn't mention origami ones. In any case, the same site will provide you with those too.
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

Wolf, you are one mean *****! I love you! Whitey, you might try Dr. Steve O'Hanlon's page (www.fishgoth.com). His pattern is fairly easy, and recognizable as a crocogator. The Yoda pattern's nice, too.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Okay, pet peeve time. I know that in many crafts, instructions are referred to as "patterns". In origami, they are known as "diagrams" (hence the name of this forum).
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

I stand corrected. (insert sound of slapping wrists)

The diagrams are nice, and they're full diagrams, not just crease....thingys.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Speaking of crease thingies, the one for Mark Leonard's crocodile (http://www.origami.34sp.com) isn't too hard to do either. It's just a simple hybrid bird-frog base, with two pleated grafts (which are just repeated multiple sinks) on each end. The valley and mountain folds in the thingy are also marked, making it even easier to follow. No more teeth grinding and hair tearing just to get the crease thingy to collapse! :D

All in all, a nice thingy for those wanting to learn how to fold crease thingies - but it has to be done with thin paper or foil, since the pleated area will inevitably split if standard copy paper (70-80 gsm) is used.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Alright, alright. *mutter, mutter, mumble*

Crease patterns are, of course, properly called crease patterns. I just get too many Martha Stewart wannabes emailing me for "patterns" for some origami thingy or other.

Like I said, it's a pet peeve. :P
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

But wouldn't it be cute if you folded that out of pink cloth? You could use it as a belt!"
Yes. Some lady seriously said this to me during a convention, when I was folding pleated scales for a chinese dragon.

We could start calling them "crease diagram" instead of crease thingies, if you like. Or "crease network schematic", or "inadequate diagram substitute", or ... :D
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

Not to get off topic, but has anybody tried using the progressive crease patterns? I understand that they were meant to be a compromise between diagrams and crease patterns, but I (fumblefingered twit that I am) haven't been able to get them to work right.

Whiteshadow, have you had any luck folding crocodiles yet?
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

not on the internet but in "folding the universe" (i think it's by peter engels) there is an alligator (insert crocodile here) with its mouth open and a tongue just visible. an interesting fold, and not too bad for crappy cheapo paper like wot us plebs can only afford (whines for hours about the cost of special poncey origami papers which are wonderful but stupidly priced).
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

hermanntrude wrote:crappy cheapo paper like wot us plebs can only afford (whines for hours about the cost of special poncey origami papers which are wonderful but stupidly priced)
Eh? Homemade tissue foil is in general cheaper, per square metre, than kami, but takes some time to make. Other cheap alternatives are large rolls of newsprint / brown kraft paper / tracing paper / florists foil / burger wraps that you can get at stationery and food packaging wholesalers. All of these work much much better than kami for complex models.

Packaged origami paper is horribly expensive when you compare the cost/area ratios.
omzig89

Post by omzig89 »

wolf wrote:Eh? Homemade tissue foil is in general cheaper, per square metre, than kami, but takes some time to make. Other cheap alternatives are large rolls of newsprint / brown kraft paper / tracing paper / florists foil / burger wraps that you can get at stationery and food packaging wholesalers. All of these work much much better than kami for complex models.

Packaged origami paper is horribly expensive when you compare the cost/area ratios.
:wink: You got that right. And store bought origami paper is hard to work with.

I fold complex models like John Montroll's Pegasus from a whole sheet of newspaper and I get a figure about 5 inches tall at the head. I tried with origami paper from the store ( I think it's about 5 in squared) and I ended up with a 1.5 inch tall pegasus. So, you can explain to yourself how tiny the crimp folds were for the feet and how thick the paper got to be at that point. So, people! If you're new (even if you have a little experience) start out BIG! Just a bit of obvious sounding advice.

As for paper, still remember that any old piece of paper will do. I still fold things out of foil candy wrappers and stuff like I used to when I first started doing origami.
STOP CALLING THEM PATTERNS!!!!!
THEY ARE DIAGRAMS!!!!!

-- omzig89
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

omzig89 wrote:...start out BIG! Just a bit of obvious sounding advice.
Depends on what you're doing. If you're just having trouble handling small folded areas, then yes, going big will help.

If you're getting paper splitting issues, it's the thickness of the paper (relative to its area) that's more important, together with paper strength.
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

I fold whatever I get my hands on, but then what folder doesn't? I've had good luck folding with foil, tissue, kami, washi (given to me by well-meaning friends) and newsprint. My most memorable models, however, were mostly folded from inter-office junkmail memos, sent on colored stationary! Hmm, this pink page about parking spaces would make a darling swan, the green about wasting paper makes a nice 'gator...