Searching for several Tortoise diagrams

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
Raith

Searching for several Tortoise diagrams

Post by Raith »

Turtles are viables too but I would prefer a Tortoise, I can't find these anywhere. Thanks guys!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Raith

Post by Raith »

nope, land based shelled animals is the way to go. BUT! i will make the this 'tortoise' too. although it looks funny. :) thanks for finding it.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The book "Origami Design Secrets" by Robert Lang contains two nice turtle-diagrams. The "Western Pond Turtle" is a tortoise and the "Turtle" looks like a terrapin, but could also be a tortoise.
Raith

Post by Raith »

yeah ive seen pics of it, that looks INSANE... btw, do you have AIM or MSN and we can chat? this newbie needs help. :P
MeadowMuffin

Post by MeadowMuffin »

Insane definitely describes the Western Pond Turtle. It took about 8 hours just to do the precreasing for the shell. I did manage to get one done after about four unsuccessful attempts and it's reasonably ok. The feet still need some work though.
Raith

Post by Raith »

8hours? holy crud...
malachi

Post by malachi »

Origami Zoo has a decent one, but it's fairly complex.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

MeadowMuffin wrote:It took about 8 hours just to do the precreasing for the shell.
No, I´ve folded the whole turtle in about 4 hours, but my turtle looks more like a babyturtle :?
Maybe I should fold it once more, but I think it doesn´t worth.
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

Tandadan #7 look this. Tomo Ogawa Kinoshita
MeadowMuffin

Post by MeadowMuffin »

origami_8 wrote: No, I´ve folded the whole turtle in about 4 hours, but my turtle looks more like a babyturtle :?
Maybe I should fold it once more, but I think it doesn´t worth.
Ok, so I take my time. I do rush through alot of things, but origami isn't one of them. It's the one time that it's possible to just enjoy the process without worrying so much about the finished result.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I´m a very slow folder. I take my time and don´t rush about things. The turtle wouldn´t have looked much better if I would have folded it some slower, but maybe I should have taken a larger paper? I think a 15 cm square is a little bit too small to make such complex things :-k
And hej, Babyturtles are also very nice 8)
pnpurdue

Post by pnpurdue »

Thanks to origami_8 I was able to finish the western pond turtle. But I didn't like it at all. It took some time to finish. The model looks 3D in the photographs but it's really not :-( hollow on the underside. I like Satoshi's sea turtle! that would be AMAZING to try.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

That´s an interesting idea, to make a patterned shell on the underside too. I will work on this, but it may last a while until I get a good result. To do this, I will need a very large paper, because I will have to double the precreasing and I think it should be foilbacked because instead it wont hold its shape.
Hm, if I get an result I will tell you, maybe in half an year or so...
pnpurdue

Post by pnpurdue »

hahahha origami_8 you are funny :lol: That would be an interesting turtle to see. Good luck on it :P