Origami Deer Head Question

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
Quentin Wells

Origami Deer Head Question

Post by Quentin Wells »

Hello, I recently discovered some beautiful animal head origami models that are being sold as Lamps here:
http://www.oneinchpunch.net/2010/08/01/ ... ead-lamps/

The design for the Deer Head I'm particularly interested in, and I'm wondering if this is available in any books, or if anyone recognises the model so I can investigate further? Thanks very much in advance.
quentin
garrasdecaiman

Post by garrasdecaiman »

It´s obvious they are not really origami although they look as if they had been made with origami
mainly the use of angles classical to origami and simplicity.
on closer inspection it is clear they are not folded as they have no layers, or fold lines

these models are do not seem to be traditional but more copies of works from old folders like kasahara, takahama and the like (I bring this up because it would be interesting to see what other users of the forum might think of this use of models or parts of them, especially in light of the new magazine thread) anyway, here is the full descripton from her own page which is here http://www.sistudio.cl/

"Origami’s Hunter

Origami’s Hunter is an abstraction of the traditional wall of a hunter. The animals heads hanging on the wall have been reinterpreted as a collection of lamps and have been designed following the principles of origami. The series of animals consist on a rhinoceros, a deer and a goat."

what do you think about this?
Quentin Wells

Post by Quentin Wells »

Hi garrasdecaiman, thank-you very much for your reply - I really appreciate your response. It is interesting to note the appropriation of the visual language of origami in non-traditional settings, and I'll have to investigate those practitioners that you referenced in your reply.
With a bit of improvisation I managed to fold a deer head, based on a basic bird base, that looks very similar (identical if you squint your eyes) to the lamp shade Deer. I can post some pictures if anyone is interested?
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

take a picture take a picture! :P
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
garrasdecaiman

Post by garrasdecaiman »

Ditto
X
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

The goat head lamp should also be very easy from a bird base, as long as you thin the flaps a bit. The rhinoceros is more difficult though; I'd do a bird base as a large corner graft, using the middle point of the bird base for the small horn. The ears might be tricky though.
berserk04

Pictures

Post by berserk04 »

So anyone manage to make the deer on paper?? can I see some photos or even better the diagram :D
Falcifer

Re: Origami Deer Head Question

Post by Falcifer »

I came across these models recently and tried to recreate them (especially the deer head), and I've come up with something that's probably right. The finished model looks the same anyway.
It could also be adapted to make the ram's head, since they're both essentially the same model.

The rhino is not going so well, although I have recreated the horns, and have plenty of paper left over. Just trying to figure out what to do with it all.

I made them from triangles (square cut in half diagonally), though. The base is a sort of three-sided bird-base. I don't know if that has a specific name.

I'm busy this morning, so no pictures or instructions yet, but possibly I will do something later.

However, with the Sarah Morris thread being bumped recently, I did some reading about copyright, and the OUSA Copyright FAQ lead me to believe that I'm not allowed to share diagrams or instructions for a reverse-engineered model anyway.

If anyone knows whether I can share some instructions for the model or not, please let me know.
Also, since ideas and techniques aren't copyrightable, could I share the base? It's very basic, and it similar to a bird base, but only has three points (being from a triangle rather than a square)

I'll be back later to check in.

Also, the original website (Sistudio) has more/better pictures. Choose your language, then click "Design".
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

Posting a photo of the finished model is perfectly legal. I should point out that this is a ceramics model, and given how it looks, was probably not directly based on any particular origami design; so diagrams for an origami model that looked like it would probably be legal, and would certainly be ethical.

The reason they have a solid case against Sarah Morris is because she based her paintings off of crease patterns that had already been published; her case has nothing to do with reverse-engineering. I've never seen a conclusive legal argument against posting a reverse-engineered diagram where no original diagram or CP exists, although it's not considered ethical to do so.

Legally speaking, the folding process is not copyrightable, so unless the designer has filed a patent, a reverse-engineered diagram of the model may not fall under copyright. Where this gets tricky is that the finished model *is* protected under copyright, as a work of art. So if your diagram contains a drawing or photo of the final model, then the diagram could be considered a breach of copyright, although you could argue that enough value is added to categorize the diagram as fair use.

Regardless of that, it's considered unethical in the origami world, so the legality of reverse-engineering is a moot point if you don't want people to get mad at you.
Karte

Post by Karte »

Hi Falcifer
Ive been trying to make this deer head as a gift to my girlfriend
and I believe that Im quite close.
But since Im quite new to origami - I feel like something is missing.
If you could send me your diagram I would be really grateful.

Her birthday is on Thursday and I think she would be super happy with it.
If you would rather not post it online
Perhaps you could send it directly to me at 'thincredible at gmail dot com'

thanks in advance
morgy

Post by morgy »

Hi there

Is there anybody who can help me out with making this beautiful reindeer head?

Thanks in advance!